Dead chick

XAshleyX

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Connecticut
Hi everyone. I received my spring order of chicks late yesterday afternoon and woke up to a dead chick :(
She was actually not part of my order and was accidentally given to me instead of my actual order but I went back to get my additional chick, and decided to keep her.
She was the loudest chick ever and chirped almost constantly. I'm now wondering if that was a sign something was wrong? She didn't eat once with me but her crop appeared full and she drank water.
This morning she was on her side and it seemed like she was gasping for air for a few seconds before she passed. My other two were just walking about, eating/drinking normally. And do not chirp super loud.
The one that passed was also the smallest. Ugh! I know some chicks just fail to thrive but I'm so sad. She was a Polish purchased from a local small farm. Their chicks come from hatcheries.

I purchased 5 chicks from them last year and adopted 3 from a school. I've raised them all the same so I was just so shocked to find one dead with this years chicks🥺 what do you do with a dead chick? If it's buried, other animals will smell it right?
Also, she may have just not had the best start....
Sometimes there's nothing you can do.

Trust me, some of mine were lost due to my set up I believe (things I didn't know or consider with such a large bunch) I spent the entire 1st week arranging and then rearranging what I had planned for them ...just so I could be sure i wouldn't lose anymore. And just when I thought I had it all figured out...id lose another and I'd have to do the rearranging all over again...

Sometimes you can do something to limit the amount lost...other times...not so much

Hi thank you for your response. I checked them for pasty butt when I first got them. I gave them food and water and although she was energetic, she did not eat once whereas the other two ate a little. I thought her super loud chirps were a good sign because my other two were barely chirping.

Hi thank you for your response. I checked them for pasty butt when I first got them. I gave them food and water and although she was energetic, she did not eat once whereas the other two ate a little. I thought her super loud chirps were a good sign because my other two were barely chirping.
Sometimes we just don’t have the answers to why
Hopefully your other babies continue to be strong :)

Also, she may have just not had the best start....
Sometimes there's nothing you can do.

Trust me, some of mine were lost due to my set up I believe (things I didn't know or consider with such a large bunch) I spent the entire 1st week arranging and then rearranging what I had planned for them ...just so I could be sure i wouldn't lose anymore. And just when I thought I had it all figured out...id lose another and I'd have to do the rearranging all over again...

Sometimes you can do something to limit the amount lost...other times...not so much
That sounds so difficult. Especially with so much planning and changing. Ugh I'm sorry. It's so hard losing them. I had her less than 12 hours and I'm crushed. I can't imagine when I lose one of my original girls.
I really appreciate the responses.
I hope your others are happy & healthy ❤️

That sounds so difficult. Especially with so much planning and changing. Ugh I'm sorry. It's so hard losing them. I had her less than 12 hours and I'm crushed. I can't imagine when I lose one of my original girls.
I really appreciate the responses.
I hope your others are happy & healthy ❤️
My others are thriving at 5wks old!!! 33 healthy and happy!!!

I am so sorry you're so crushed!! Don't let it eat at ya too long!!!...but I know the feeling.

Hi everyone. I received my spring order of chicks late yesterday afternoon and woke up to a dead chick :(
She was actually not part of my order and was accidentally given to me instead of my actual order but I went back to get my additional chick, and decided to keep her.
She was the loudest chick ever and chirped almost constantly. I'm now wondering if that was a sign something was wrong? She didn't eat once with me but her crop appeared full and she drank water.
This morning she was on her side and it seemed like she was gasping for air for a few seconds before she passed. My other two were just walking about, eating/drinking normally. And do not chirp super loud.
The one that passed was also the smallest. Ugh! I know some chicks just fail to thrive but I'm so sad. She was a Polish purchased from a local small farm. Their chicks come from hatcheries.
Im
Sorry you lost her
It’s possible she was just weak but my thoughts are pasty butt
They are unable to clear the crop as they get blocked
Did you check to see if that could have been why
Not that it will bring her back but may help others who read this post

Losing chicks is never easy. Sorry you had to experience this! 😔
I purchased 5 chicks from them last year and adopted 3 from a school. I've raised them all the same so I was just so shocked to find one dead with this years chicks🥺 what do you do with a dead chick? If it's buried, other animals will smell it right?

Back
Top Bottom