dead chicken

justachick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
I discovered one my girls in the egg kennel dead. The other girls had laid eggs beside her! They hadnt started on her but maybe if it wasnt so darn cold they wouldve. Chickens!!!
Anyway. Ive just gone thru a loooong period of yukky butt (vent gleet) and she was one of the worst (I think cause she was smallest girl). I just gave her a little personal attention with water and yogurt and she was pretty much cured. Ive been giving them lots of yogurt and apple cider vinegar soaked oats every day and they are really doing better. The yukky butt is almost completely gone now.
All this is to ask if she would be ok to eat or can I boil her up and feed her back to the other chickens.
When I got to her she was cold and starting to freeze. There seems nothing wrong with her (except she's dead!)
She was one of my new girls, too! Darn, darn, darn!!
watcha think?
justachick

Just my opinion but I would never eat any of mine if I didn't cull them for reasons of eating... she may have had some disease and I wouldn't consider even giving a cooked dead chicken to my dogs nor my chickens.

I would normally burn mine or bury them deeply as I wouldn't want to risk any possible spread of disease to my others.

Suzie

I wouldn't cook it up and eat it myself or feed it to the other chickens. Bury it or burn it.

Im actually relieved at these replies. I didnt really want to do this but Ive read of others feeding it back and I didnt want to waste it if the meat might be good.
I feel so bad when one of my girls die and I didnt have a chance to save her. I guess I should let them die and not try to nurse them but I guess its in my nature. It always seems to be the ones I get attached to. I try not to but some of them just catch your eye and have a bit of a personality. Ive had not too bad fortune with predators and I guess not too bad with the unknowns but it still gets to me. And like I said it always seem to be ones I like or are prettier than the rest.
Thanks for the input, I feel better now.
Wish Id taken a pic of her when I had the chance.
ta much
justachick

Back
Top Bottom