Deal of the day!!

bonder

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I just called my local grocery food store and asked what they do with left over produce. They said they just throw it out. Well, being the thrifty type, I asked if I could have the melons for my chickens. They were happy to agree and said they would call when they had some. My girls (and boys) love pureed, frozen melon on these hot days! They also get shipments of sweetcorn in little wooden boxes, which look perfect for small nesting boxes! Super Yay!

Anybody ever try this and have good results? I'm hoping the food isn't super gross!

How ingenious of you! That's the kind of thing *I* would do! In fact, now that you've given me the idea, I think I'll check that out come wintertime, when I can't pull weeds for my girlz (they are indoor since I have not jumped through all the legal hoops to have them outside yet). Thanks for posting!

I just freeze them halved and put them out, seeds and all. Seeds are the best part, and they love picking at the melons as they thaw.

Ha! I guess freezing them halved, rather than going to the work of cutting it up and pureeing it would be easier! Thanks for the tip!

My favorite part of it is seeing the leftover rinds- they get them to paper thin little bowls!

You can do any melon, papaya, mango, squash, cucumbers, grapes, and apples and pears like this. No citrus, but pretty much any other fruit is great. No avocados or potatoes. I'm all over this store that has a produce clearance rack.

Would you believe our local Wal-Mart had a special with cantaloupes for $.50 a few days ago? I hate the place and won't normally go, but I went in, bought 10 of the things, and went right out! Would've been a fool to ignore that special!

That is a great idea. I always pick something up for the chickens when I walk through the produce isle. I especially like melons for the reason ChooksChick said, the THIN walls they leave lets me know they love it and also impresses friends. I will check with my grocery to see if they will do the same thing.

Mine love melons too
smile.png
Of course our store just crushes the stuff and won't give it away to anyone 'cause they say it is a liability. Too bad
sad.png

Quote:
Our store does the same. We did ask an off named quick stop to let us know when they toss out their fresh bread. They can only have it so many days before it has to be off the shelves.

Back
Top Bottom