Deceased hen tested positive for Marek’s

Tashavas

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
So, one of my hens died a few days ago.
She was fine on Sunday but on Monday morning she didn’t come out of the run and when I found her she was very lethargic and didn’t do anything which is very unusual for her.
My daughter is a vet tech and I took her to her clinic where she died shortly after.
Since we didn’t know why she died so unexpectedly we decided to have a necropsy done and the preliminary report suggests that she had Marek’s.
I’m totally surprised and overwhelmed since I didn’t see that coming.
What does that mean for the rest of my flock (I have 8 more chickens)?
And where do I go from here?
Any advise is appreciated.

So, one of my hens died a few days ago.
She was fine on Sunday but on Monday morning she didn’t come out of the run and when I found her she was very lethargic and didn’t do anything which is very unusual for her.
My daughter is a vet tech and I took her to her clinic where she died shortly after.
Since we didn’t know why she died so unexpectedly we decided to have a necropsy done and the preliminary report suggests that she had Marek’s.
I’m totally surprised and overwhelmed since I didn’t see that coming.
What does that mean for the rest of my flock (I have 8 more chickens)?
And where do I go from here?
Any advise is appreciated.
There are good articles on this website about Marek's. It's extremely contagious. I think it's unrealistic to say that you can isolate a hen to prevent the others from exposure. It's in the feather dander, and spreads in the air. Marek's didn't used to be so deadly, but widespread vaccinations against it has bred up more serious disease. The Marek's vaccines are "leaky" or "imperfect", which means that they don't prevent catching or spreading the disease, they just help chickens who catch it live longer. In nature, chickens with the deadly type of Marek's would die, and the virus would be wiped out. Today, vaccinated chickens survive the deadly strain of Marek's, and live to pass it on to others. It's become progressively nastier. This is basic virology.
I have a chicken with Marek's. She was almost totally paralyzed and was not eating. She has survived and is able to walk in an uncoordinated way, and she is eating again. The other hens do not pick on her, so I leave her alone.

So sorry :hugs
How old are your other chickens? Usually, after they have got past 6 mouths to a year, they are fairly resistant to it, and their future looks brighter.
If one hen has died from it, there is no point in isolating any of the others because they will all have it already.
Make sure you don't sell or give away any of them, as one don't want to give anyone else the problem. I don't sell eggs either, for the same reason.
Realistically, you can either cull all your chickens, and then wait a 6 months or more before getting new chickens, or just let them live out their lives with you. You could try breeding for resistance, or add vaccinated chicks.
With my flocks, I have decided to just keeping going how I was before, and just except that I will lose some. It is so hard sometimes, but most of my chickens are doing fine.

They are just over a year old. Marek's is pretty much everywhere, and it does not affect the eggs, not does it spread to humans. I'm just going to give high quality feed, keep the water fresh and add a little apple cider vinegar, and just let nature run it's course..

My first flock came with Mareks. The breeder said they were vaccinated, but who knows. I only had 2 of the 9 survive. Second flock of 9, vaccinated - I had one develop paralysis and we brought her into the house. After ~3 or 4 months she regained mobility and we returned her to the flock after 6 months. Of that flock, I had several put down last year because they were developing paralysis. They were 8 years old. Of the third flock of 6, one developed tumors from Mareks. One other also passed, not sure if it was Mareks.

So there is life after Mareks, but watching that first flock get sick one at a time is rough.

May I ask how you cared for the chicken you kept on the house for a few months ? I know the odds are terrible, but I still want to try and help our sweet girl who was just diagnosed. She still has a big appetite, but can't see much all of a sudden. :-(

My first flock came with Mareks. The breeder said they were vaccinated, but who knows. I only had 2 of the 9 survive. Second flock of 9, vaccinated - I had one develop paralysis and we brought her into the house. After ~3 or 4 months she regained mobility and we returned her to the flock after 6 months. Of that flock, I had several put down last year because they were developing paralysis. They were 8 years old. Of the third flock of 6, one developed tumors from Mareks. One other also passed, not sure if it was Mareks.

So there is life after Mareks, but watching that first flock get sick one at a time is rough.

Sorry for the late response. She was my sensitive child’s favorite hen and seemed happy enough, just that her legs were paralyzed. Healthy appetite, bright eyes. So we made her a box to give her some time, with the expectation of euthanizing her as she declined. We did have to bathe her regularly. After a couple of months she started to try to stand, and then started laying eggs. Once she regained leg strength, we reintegrated her into the flock, which was pretty difficult.

Good luck with your hen

They are just over a year old. Marek's is pretty much everywhere, and it does not affect the eggs, not does it spread to humans. I'm just going to give high quality feed, keep the water fresh and add a little apple cider vinegar, and just let nature run it's course..
I'm currently conducting research specifically for Marek's Disease.

I am having some success with Baicalin (Chinese Skullcap).

It's not a cure, but my birds stopped getting sick and dying 'mysteriously.

I have not been able to save birds that were seriously damaged by the virus, but I have been able to avert disaster if I catch it in the beginning.

I'm experimenting with a preventative dosage right now.

It's still an experiment. Do with it what you will.

Back
Top Bottom