December 2022 hatch-a-long

I'm so disappointed- my 12.17 hatch out of three eggs I had one hatch normally and is doing great, one with a malpositioned pip that drowned, and the third hatched but didn't absorb the yolk at all? I'd never seen anything like this. I cut the dried yolk off yesterday and hoped for the best (there was no bleeding and the chick seemed fine), but today the chick is doing very poorly and I don't expect it to live through the night. View attachment 3352848
What an upsetting hatch 😭 I’m so sorry!

I put 42 eggs into lock down last night. All barnyard specials. Some beautiful green eggs with lots of speckles. Can not wait to see the colors this bunch lays.

Attachments

• Gray egg.JPG
    Gray egg.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 5
I put 42 eggs into lock down last night. All barnyard specials. Some beautiful green eggs with lots of speckles. Can not wait to see the colors this bunch lays.
Wow beautiful eggs!!!! Love that pink one! Is it that pink in person? The greens are so pretty too.

Yes it is that pink. There is also one that is gray. One of my Blue Laced red wyandottes lay it. I have a the following for Roosters, Lavender Maran, French Copper Maran, Beilifielder, BLR wyandotte, Oliver egger, Cream Crested legbar and a polish. Should come up with some gorgeous chicks with great egg color. I lost my polish roo last week, but have 3 polish eggs in the mix and you never no who he may have gotten frisk with. My Lavender Maran is the head hauncho. 60 hens total, some in all of thoses breed. They free range and I do pen them up in the spring to get pure breeds. But I love to get some mixes just for the variety of look and egg color.

Babies have been sent off to their new home, she loved them so much! I’ll be sending her some hatching eggs after the first of the new year. Can’t wait to see what comes out there!

My chicks are 2 weeks old. I moved them to a heated pen with heat lamp (chained and chicks cannot touch the lamp.) One of the little marans, likes to chest bump my hand when I reach in to touch him. Fun times.

I am going to look into a rooster after New years, to breed with some of my hens. I have eggs coming mid Jan or so, and hope to add a few.

Back
Top Bottom