Decisions

AShelDuck1

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Oklahoma
Which ducks to keep and which to dispatch.

Highlighted in green is Fabio. I was thinking he will be a drake and he's the most spectacular specimen. Keep"him"? as the drake?

The other two highlighted are current layers hatched naturally from mom's not incubator. Keep them to be good mom's? Blue is baby we eat her eggs. Fuschia is Joy and we can't find her eggs. Where is she laying them? Is she sitting on them? I never see her missing?

I was planning on keeping two more females. Which do you think? If they were your ducks?

The only drake feathers I see yet is on a Cayuga. My calendar says they should be ready two weeks ago. Besides Fabio I have no favorite.

I was hoping they would breed another set of meat ducks too.

This is our first time dispatching so any advice appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-31-17-23-39-063~2.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-31-17-23-39-063~2.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2023-07-31-17-24-09-530.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-31-17-24-09-530.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2023-07-31-17-23-50-882.jpg
    IMG_2023-07-31-17-23-50-882.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Which ducks to keep and which to dispatch.

Highlighted in green is Fabio. I was thinking he will be a drake and he's the most spectacular specimen. Keep"him"? as the drake?

The other two highlighted are current layers hatched naturally from mom's not incubator. Keep them to be good mom's? Blue is baby we eat her eggs. Fuschia is Joy and we can't find her eggs. Where is she laying them? Is she sitting on them? I never see her missing?

I was planning on keeping two more females. Which do you think? If they were your ducks?

The only drake feathers I see yet is on a Cayuga. My calendar says they should be ready two weeks ago. Besides Fabio I have no favorite.

I was hoping they would breed another set of meat ducks too.

This is our first time dispatching so any advice appreciated
Your pictures didn’t post …

Wow, tough decision… Of course if it were me, I would find a way to keep them all, lol
So how do you know that Joy is laying if you never find her eggs?
so you’re keeping your favorite drake, the other drakes go,
how about you keep the one that’s behind joy in the first picture she has the blue feathers on her side, and the one that’s in front of joy in that same first picture she’s white with black bill and black on her wing

Wow, tough decision… Of course if it were me, I would find a way to keep them all, lol
So how do you know that Joy is laying if you never find her eggs?
so you’re keeping your favorite drake, the other drakes go,
how about you keep the one that’s behind joy in the first picture she has the blue feathers on her side, and the one that’s in front of joy in that same first picture she’s white with black bill and black on her wing
Well I know she was laying at one point and she would burry her eggs. We also had a hard time finding her nests and we would eventually find them. Like once we found a nest under the duck house. But we can't get there. And someone moved our bricks to block her from there (can ducks move bricks?) So I suspect she's sitting on a nest under there. But I don't know. Maybe she just stopped?

It's such a hard decision lol. And I spend hours watching them trying to decide. Haha and my husband doesn't care. He would get rid of all of them.

Lovely ducks!

Drake feathers come in later on some. Biggest question is if Fabio is quacking or rasping. If raspy, then definitely a drake.

My current ones started quacking around 4 weeks old! Except for one, and now I'm pretty sure he's a drake.

Lovely ducks!

Drake feathers come in later on some. Biggest question is if Fabio is quacking or rasping. If raspy, then definitely a drake.

My current ones started quacking around 4 weeks old! Except for one, and now I'm pretty sure he's a drake.
He's rasping!!

I try to listen to the others but it gets hard to pay attention. We might just collect them and pick them up lol

I personally choose the ones with the best personality. I don't want a drake who is going to bite me or cause a lot of trouble for my females and sometimes you can't tell till their hormones kick in. If he is a jerk, he has got to go. Past that, if you are looking for meat birds, I would keep whoever is bigger. They will more likely have bigger offspring.

Back
Top Bottom