Decreased daylight time and egg laying for soon to be layers

Yes it will affect the egg production. There’s a good chance they will wait till spring to start laying. This has been the case for all my pullets who came of age this time of year.
What breed(s) do you have?
2 sapphire gems, 1 RIR, 2 prairie bluebells

Do not get people’s hopes up like this. Squatting is not a good indicator/ and if a rooster is present (at least one worth more than a bullet) a hen wont squat for u periodt.
That's odd. I really thought it was a good indicator.
Especially since all 4 of these POL's started squatting for me the week before starting to lay. And most all my other 12 hens did the same. AND... I have 2 Roosters.

I'm not saying my hens still squat. They don't. Because each flock has a Roo. But most all my pullets at POL always squat for me just before laying.

Maybe I'm the only one. 👍

That's odd. I really thought it was a good indicator.
Especially since all 4 of these POL's started squatting for me the week before starting to lay. And most all my other 12 hens did the same. AND... I have 2 Roosters.

I'm not saying my hens still squat. They don't. Because each flock has a Roo. But most all my pullets at POL always squat for me just before laying.

Maybe I'm the only one. 👍
Do you handle your birds daily ? That ppays a strong factor. Im one of the strong supporters of 99.999% hands off as much as possible. If u handle them i might would see them squatting. In ~15 years of owning chickens i have had less than 10 ever swuat for
Me. And oddly enough is when I did not have a rooster at most of those times.

Do you handle your birds daily ? That ppays a strong factor. Im one of the strong supporters of 99.999% hands off as much as possible. If u handle them i might would see them squatting. In ~15 years of owning chickens i have had less than 10 ever swuat for
Me. And oddly enough is when I did not have a rooster at most of those times.
No I don't, only when needed.
Like I said my hens don't squat for me. Each flock has their Roo.
My response to the OP was in reference to POL pullets. Not hens.

Do you handle your birds daily ? That ppays a strong factor.
That likely makes all the difference. I have no rooster and while I'm not very hands on with the birds, I'm hands on enough that POL pullets and hens coming back into lay will seek me out and squat for me. As it makes them easier to catch and they only free range with supervision, I encourage it.

Back
Top Bottom