Deep litter method

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
I have been using sand in my coop for the past year now. I go out each morning and use a kitty litter scoop to clean. I know it doesn’t take long but I would like to not have to do it daily. If I want to switch to deep litter method would I need to somehow get all the sand out of the coop, or could I layer the pine chips on top? I’m assuming I need to put the work in to remove the sand but please tell me I don’t! Thanks for your help!

Deep Bedding in the coop does have to be cleaned out at intervals, which would entail removing the sand too. It would probably be easier to shovel the sand out of the coop before putting the shavings in because having the sand there would make managing the shavings more difficult and because the sand would complicate the eventual composting of the shavings.

In the run, Deep Litter on top of sand would depend on how deep the sand is, how high you can pile things before it starts to spill out, and the nature of your underlying soil. :)

I’m assuming I need to put the work in to remove the sand but please tell me I don’t!
Maybe maybe not.
Show us pics of your coop and run, please.....

...and tell us....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1596498449003.png

Back
Top Bottom