Deep wound care?

Yes, it would be a concern for flies getting on the wound and laying eggs. This would be called FlyStrike and you don't want to deal with that. Maggots cause a significant amount of damage to wounds.

The leg she's keeping straight and indicates pain when manipulated, can you tell if there's a lump or break? It may be fractured or just possibly very sore. It can be really hard to know since chickens can be so stoic.

Do the best you can, tend to the wound and encourage her to drink and eat. See how it goes. The sling may be helpful as well.
Keep us posted on how she's getting along.
The leg feels normal to me. I'm hoping it's just a fracture that can heal, but she has zero ability to stay upright. It makes me think there's more involved than the leg.
If she's not in the sling, we get her propped up on her belly, but if she tries to rearrange herself she ends up on her left side with her head nearly underneath herself. It's hard to explain but it's like picking up a mess of feathers until her head finally appears and you can understand what you're looking at.
I'm not sure how long to wait for her to gain some mobility before making "the call" to cull.

The leg feels normal to me. I'm hoping it's just a fracture that can heal, but she has zero ability to stay upright. It makes me think there's more involved than the leg.
If she's not in the sling, we get her propped up on her belly, but if she tries to rearrange herself she ends up on her left side with her head nearly underneath herself. It's hard to explain but it's like picking up a mess of feathers until her head finally appears and you can understand what you're looking at.
I'm not sure how long to wait for her to gain some mobility before making "the call" to cull.
Poor thing:hugs

For how long to wait, that would be up to you. You are there evaluating her every step of the way and care for her, so when/if the time comes to make that call, you'll do the right thing.

We had to make the call. Sweet little thing wasn’t able to do anything with her right leg and if she tried she ended up on her back unable to right herself. She was just stuck in whatever position we put her in.
I will miss her little purr when we talked to her.
Thank you all for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom