Deer Meat

kreagerm

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
For those feeding it to their chickens, what is the best way to serve? Raw, Cooked, ect? I was thinking I would just boil it and slice it up for them, thoughts?

Although they'd probably love it raw, I'd recommend cooking it to reduce the chances of them picking up worms or other parasites. You could boil or bake or crock pot it...whatever is easier :)

I feed all supplemental meat raw unless it is leftovers from a past meal of my families.

Chris

I wouldn't waste good meat on my chickens unless it was scrap or leftover. However, for your birds, I think raw is fine. A chicken is unlikely to suffer from mammalian parasites, bodies are too different. Just make sure it is fresh and good still when you offer it, rotting meat can be much more problematic for them.

Chickens are scavengers so their systems are pretty hardy. I wouldn't be too worried about them getting sick... They are meant to eat carrion raw.

Is this the same for squirrel? I shoot a lot of squirrels (my kids love broiled squirrel's) and we have a lot of them on our property and surrounding properties.

When I skin the squirrel - I throw the skin, feet, innards, and head in the woods - would the chickens actually like that?

Last edited:
Around my way you can kill an unlimited amout of doe, and i already have 3 in the freezer any more meet now would just be donated to the supply kitchens for the homeless. So I figured I would just feed it to my chickens instead.

Back
Top Bottom