deformed beak

Jay13

Songster
13 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Central NC
Ok, maybe this doesn't go here but I wanted to know if this beak issue is most likely a genetic or a nutrition problem. This chick was apparently hatched like this, the top portion of the beak stops short. It reminds me of what the "debeaked" chicks look like, although I asked the farmer and he did not do this, it was born that way. My question is this, should I cull it from my flock? I have 20 chickens have had for a week and a half so not attached to them yet. I will want to eventually let "nature take its course" and don't want to perpetuate a problem. He/She (can't tell can you help?) had a hard time getting started and gained weight at about half the rate of its siblings.

This was yet another bird we didn't realize had issues until after we got them home, trying to catch chickens is fun if a bit confusing.

Thanks for your help. BYC rocks!

18812_deformed.jpg

18812_deformed2.jpg

Edited to add: He/She is about 16 weeks now or therabouts, not too sure, the guy had a lot of different hatches going on at the same time.

Last edited:
If someone didn't burn it to keep her from pecking then my next guess would be that she "Hulled" her top beak. 'Hulling is when the top layer of beak breaks off exposing the bottom of the beak. Sometimes it will grow back, sometimes not.Usually from pecking on wire or something hard. If you can see any extra beak on the bottom to trim (like fingernails) with fingernail clippers, it may help to trim the bottom beak occaisionally trying to get the two beaks close enough to eat off the ground. Don't trim into the "Quick" or it will make her beak sore, just clip the part you can see through that is transparent. A little each time will help. I would feed in a bowl, cup or feeder until you get both beaks close to the same length.

I guess its been like that since it hatched... before it had a chance to peck much more than its shell. does this make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom