Delaware Rooster has turned aggressive

phelpcd1

Songster
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
I have read about aggressive/mean roosters. I've got 2 roosters - 1 big, beautiful Delaware and a small, deformed Red SexLink. They are not quite a year old - maybe 10 months. The Delaware has been nice up to now - ever since I got mud boots and started wearing them while taking care of the chickens, the rooster has started charging at me. Especially when I turn my back on him. He also charged at my 2 year old last weekend. I booted him in the head a couple days ago and he is mostly staying away from me....I tend to go towards him and make him run from me when I go to change out water/food etc. But he tried charging me again thru the pen - maybe he knew I couldn't boot him thru the wire. My real question is how long to attempt to dominate him and get him to calm down? Is this breed known for having aggressive roosters? My child loves being around the chickens, so if he even tries to go towards her ONE more time, he's going in the soup pot. I hate for that to happen because he really is a gorgeous bird.

Try going out without the new boots on......he perceived you as a different person when you came out with the boots.
Might be too late for that a tactic tho.

Might also try getting rid if the other cockerel, competition can make them all more aggressive....and all of a sudden too.

It could also just be that he's maturing and you're seeing his true nature now.
If I had a 2 year old, I wouldn't have a rooster at all unless it was always penned(and needed for reproduction purposes) and never had access to the child.

Aggression doesn't really have anything to do with breed, it's more about the individual bird and sometimes the line of birds.

Last edited:
He'll be delicious in the crock pot! In fact, they both will be tasty. He's already had too many chances, and will only get worse. Your child doesn't need to face this risk at all. Next year, try out a new group of cockrels, and keep a couple of polite healthy ones. Some breeds and family lines produce a higher percentage of polite roosters; I think Salmon Favorelles are like that. If you are looking for a particular breed(s), then just try again. Mary

Ok thanks................our child is never alone with any of our animals. They are all penned and let out when we are home. But from what I've read, he may never be not aggressive. I have been on the offensive with him for 2 days and he is staying away from me. My husband is charging at him too, and we aren't letting up. I suspect he will go to the soup pot eventually tho.

Usually, if that is what he is doing that is going to be his personality. Kicking him will do for you, but children are smaller and he sees them as an easier target. there really is no cure. I raised 5 kids with chickens and have experienced this more than once. I usually just got rid of them( the rooster)if they became too much to deal with as they got older.
I know this is going to sound fishy after putting in my two cents, but the reason I am on this site is I am looking for a pure Delaware rooster, (I have 8 Delaware Hens). I can order a chick but I'm really looking for a roo that is a little further along.

I wish you luck with him but if you decide to get rid of him, I might be interested in him.

This is an old post, but last year, in 2021, we bought a dozen assorted chicks for our new farm. One of the Delawares turned out to be a rooster. We had to change the name from Margaret to Marcus. He got BIG. When he hit about 8 months old, he started attacking us a couple of times a week. Usually when our backs were turned. We had to keep "chicken whackers" by the gate just to feed, water, and collect eggs. Two weeks ago, I was enlarging their yard to about 1,000 square feet in preparation for another dozen chickens. He attacked me 6 times in two days. He had inch-long spurs and luckily I was wearing jeans. He's no longer with the company. If he'd gotten my 4-year-old grandson or my wife, they could have been hurt. I hated doing it, but enough is enough. Don't wait until someone gets seriously hurt to do it.

Back
Top Bottom