1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Delawares from kathyinmo

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by capayvalleychick, May 5, 2013.

1. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

[​IMG] I wondered if anyone would catch that and comment. When I took the pic I was clearly not looking at the setting because I was walking by with the camera and she was posing so pretty. That place is the dog's lounging area, hence the deer hide and bones, on the porch area of our old log outbuilding. The communal watering place is there also, so the chooks like to hang out there too.

They actually do hunt their own proteins...can swallow a 9 in. snake like it was a mealworm...but they have not graduated to deer just yet. [​IMG] They do, however, stalk the deer when the fruit is on to grab any fallen apples or pears the deer may drop from their mouths. We are hoping they will attack as a flock one day and provide the house with meat....

2 people like this.
  2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Bahahahaha Talk about self sufficient. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. finnfur

finnfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2012
    South Central VA
    I thought it was rabbit but deer is even more impressive LOL

1 person likes this.
  4. Beekissed

[​IMG] That's Jake's woobie...he carries it around from place to place, chews on it now and again, etc. He devours two or three deer hides a year, plus all the bones, skulls, teeth and all.

5. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Fingers crossed for your hatch, along with Tom & Leslie and all the others on here that have this line! So sorry that you all are having trouble. I'm struggling getting my Dorks to hatch, so am so glad to have the Dels be easy.

I agree with what WalkingWolf says, below. Nice weight, nice tail. Good start.

WOW what a hen!

6. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Zanna, I forgot to mention .... Maybe show this to Joe Emenheiser, to see what he thinks? He knows so much about genetics, maybe there's a simple explanation. He is sometimes here on BYC or on the Showbirdbid forum.

7. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Thanks Kim, I will post a pic on Showbirdbid and see what he thinks.

Nine Del eggs in the hatcher on day 20 today. Power Co. turned off the power for two hours this morning. When they let us know yesterday they said it could be as long as five hours. Don't think it will affect the hatch any, I put a blanket on the hatcher and incubator (which has 3 sets of Del eggs a week apart in it) but we shall see. It truly is always something!!

8. finnfur

finnfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2012
    South Central VA
    Candled eggs today from the MECHANICAL incubator LOL
    3/22 set 12 Blueline [from Kathys] 1 clear and 11 still viable
    3/22 set 12 Redline dels and EEs - 2 clear and 10 still viable

Today 4/1 set 18 blueline and 1 EE [ this is the April fool hatch ]

This is a foam bator and having hard time controlling everything but they growing .

Hope our Brooder and home made incubator parts get here by Friday so we can get ready for the hatch .

Glad to see everyone is progressing

Bee
    Thats a White rock from Kathy isn't it ?

9. Beekissed

It sure is! She does good work, doesn't she? These are lovely birds and very characteristic of the breed....calm, regal, clean, excellent feather quality, foraging skills, hardiness, weights and laying.

10. Lisa Harmon

Lisa Harmon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Ozark, MO
    I didnt know she also bred White Rocks?! I knew she had Barred Rocks, Delawares, and the New Hampshires. What else dont I know?! Or would that take too long to answer :lau
    Beautiful birds, all of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by