Delawares from kathyinmo

Pics
OK Bee ! I know you like to raise them tough and self sufficient - but I detect a pile of fur at the feet of that hen.
You got them trained to kill for there own protein needs now ?

lau.gif
I wondered if anyone would catch that and comment. When I took the pic I was clearly not looking at the setting because I was walking by with the camera and she was posing so pretty. That place is the dog's lounging area, hence the deer hide and bones, on the porch area of our old log outbuilding. The communal watering place is there also, so the chooks like to hang out there too.

They actually do hunt their own proteins...can swallow a 9 in. snake like it was a mealworm...but they have not graduated to deer just yet.
lol.png
They do, however, stalk the deer when the fruit is on to grab any fallen apples or pears the deer may drop from their mouths. We are hoping they will attack as a flock one day and provide the house with meat....

lau.gif
I wondered if anyone would catch that and comment. When I took the pic I was clearly not looking at the setting because I was walking by with the camera and she was posing so pretty. That place is the dog's lounging area, hence the deer hide and bones, on the porch area of our old log outbuilding. The communal watering place is there also, so the chooks like to hang out there too.

They actually do hunt their own proteins...can swallow a 9 in. snake like it was a mealworm...but they have not graduated to deer just yet.
lol.png
They do, however, stalk the deer when the fruit is on to grab any fallen apples or pears the deer may drop from their mouths. We are hoping they will attack as a flock one day and provide the house with meat....

Bahahahaha Talk about self sufficient.
lau.gif

lau.gif

lol.png
I thought it was rabbit but deer is even more impressive LOL

My 2nd Delaware hatch finished up today and was dismal. Only two of six hatched. One pipped upside down at the narrow end and I had them standing up in egg cartons so I assumed it suffocated. The other three were the first set from my favorite pullet. She lays a very round, large egg. They never pipped. I opened the eggs and the chicks were fully formed but had not absorbed the egg sack. One had a very thin membrane and liquid came pouring out so I assume that one drowned. The other two had a very thick membrane.

In the same hatch were 26 New Hampshires all of which hatched and 7 of 11 BCM hatched so I do not think it was the hatcher conditions.

I sure hope I can get some of the nice pullets eggs to hatch, have 5 more of hers due to hatch next Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
Fingers crossed for your hatch, along with Tom & Leslie and all the others on here that have this line! So sorry that you all are having trouble. I'm struggling getting my Dorks to hatch, so am so glad to have the Dels be easy.

I'm hesitant to share anything on here b/c I don't have Kathy's line of Delawares but was told I could share as long as I point out they are from a different line. I got my first Delawares from Murry McMurray hatchery in 2010. This is one of those original hens. She's around 7.75lbs (she's a tad overweight) and lays an egg around 68 grams. I'm typically not a fan of hatchery stock but am quite please with her. Definitely not perfect but I haven't seen any Delawares that are :)

I agree with what WalkingWolf says, below. Nice weight, nice tail. Good start.

That's not a bad little "tent" (2nd pic) for a hatchery bird NMM. Enjoy your birds and learn all you can. If you feel the urge and want to hone your craft I'm sure you will end up with a "higher" quality bird in the end. Just remember, they all lay an egg.
frow.gif

Here's a few pics of the wonderful hens you sent me.....such lovely birds. I love them!

WOW what a hen!

Zanna, I forgot to mention .... Maybe show this to Joe Emenheiser, to see what he thinks? He knows so much about genetics, maybe there's a simple explanation. He is sometimes here on BYC or on the Showbirdbid forum.
Thanks Kim, I will post a pic on Showbirdbid and see what he thinks.

Nine Del eggs in the hatcher on day 20 today. Power Co. turned off the power for two hours this morning. When they let us know yesterday they said it could be as long as five hours. Don't think it will affect the hatch any, I put a blanket on the hatcher and incubator (which has 3 sets of Del eggs a week apart in it) but we shall see. It truly is always something!!

Candled eggs today from the MECHANICAL incubator LOL
3/22 set 12 Blueline [from Kathys] 1 clear and 11 still viable
3/22 set 12 Redline dels and EEs - 2 clear and 10 still viable

Today 4/1 set 18 blueline and 1 EE [ this is the April fool hatch ]

This is a foam bator and having hard time controlling everything but they growing .

Hope our Brooder and home made incubator parts get here by Friday so we can get ready for the hatch .

Glad to see everyone is progressing

Bee
Thats a White rock from Kathy isn't it ?

It sure is! She does good work, doesn't she? These are lovely birds and very characteristic of the breed....calm, regal, clean, excellent feather quality, foraging skills, hardiness, weights and laying.

I didnt know she also bred White Rocks?! I knew she had Barred Rocks, Delawares, and the New Hampshires. What else dont I know?! Or would that take too long to answer :gig
Beautiful birds, all of them!

Back
Top Bottom