1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Delawares Humming Along/ Due Feb 25th / Hatch Complete

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Feb 14, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My sweet Delaware girl, Kira, will be getting some coop mates before too long. My breeder friend shipped 20 beautiful Delaware eggs from her spectacular stock. They are on Day 10 today.

I have 16 I know are viable and growing, possibly 17, but one will have to be re-candled in a day or two. That is spectacular fertility and the P.O. wasn't too rough on them during shipping apparently. One aircell is a bit far to the side, but not that bad. So, yippee for me! I'm thrilled. Kira is a chunky, beautiful girl with a sweet personality and a fabulous layer so far. [​IMG]

What I want is to have six girls with a really nice rooster in that coop. Maybe, if I'm lucky and not cockerel-heavy in this hatch, I'll get that. There are two possible sires in this batch, both wonderful, one of whom was in the Pic of the Week recently.

Good luck to all of you who are hatching this month! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009

2. blueseal

blueseal Songster

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:good luck with your hatch if you get too many roos send one my way lol.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Cyn, do you have a thread here with pics of your Dels?

4. speckledhen

LOL, well, at least one rooster is spoken for right now by walkswithdog in TN. I hope to reserve two for myself in order to grow them out a bit, then will pick the absolute best one to keep. I'm sure I'll have more than three cockerels if most all these hatch for me. If I have more than five pullets, I think the rest will be sold, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. [​IMG] If I do have extras to sell, this will be a great opportunity for those who want to preserve this endangered breed and have some very high quality stock.

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    That sounds like a great report!I wish the two girls I have were a little more friendly and layed bigger egg's but they do a decent job.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I am so jealous, can't wait to see pics of the fuzzy buts [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Jared, I only have older pics. When I can, I'll get new ones of Kira. Right now, I only have the one girl. The rooster had a less than perfect comb plus got a bit too big for his tailfeathers and we processed him. I lost one girl to a freak heart defect, sadly. Coming into lay was too much for her heart. She was so sweet and beautiful. Here is one thread with some of the last pics I have before we culled the rooster:they are 21 weeks in these:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111068

These eggs come from two different roosters than the one who sired Kira, Cassie and Jake.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks for the link Cyn! I thought I remembered commenting on some and sure enough, I had replied to the pic thread.

9. speckledhen

Well, so you did! I didn't even see that when I found it to post. Unless Tom brings me a bird up on the deck, I cant get out to the coops to take pictures. Maybe he'll do me a favor and take an updated picture of Miss Kira.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

No worries Cyn! I just wanted my Delaware fix for the day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by