Denegard not clearing everyone up what's next

Jadenrosesmom

Chirping
Sep 9, 2017
So I have 7 girls. 3 came in and at least 2 apparently had respiratory disease of some sort, sneezing runny nose etc. By the time they became symptomatic they had been housed with my other 4 for a couple wks so I chose not to isolate and to treat the entire flock. The sneezy runny nose stuff has gone through 6 of the 7 one had minor swelling on one side of her face but quickly with Denegard it mostly cleared up. I do still hear an occasional sneeze but nobody was ever lethargic or stopped eating or drinking. The only thing not clearing up is the first bird to become symptomatic's eyes. Still has the inner membrane at the corner of her eye a bit inflamed I would say and occasional bubbles but acts great. Should I add another antibiotic? In the water or directly to the eyes? Should I try giving her tylan injections? I know at this point they are all contagious forever and my flock is closed to anybody in or out but I'm invested and want to give my best effort to give her and everyone else a good life. They are all young pullets ranging from 8 weeks to 4 months. Will try to upload a picture of her eye.
20171102_192846.jpg
20171102_192846.jpg

If you have finished the 3-5day treatment of Denagard, then I would wait and see if she improves with little TLC to the eye. Flush the eye daily with saline or sterile water and apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin. Watch to see that she is eating/drinking well. The whole flock may benefit from vitamins, probiotics and extra protein a couple of times a week as well.
Just my thoughts.

Ok
If you have finished the 3-5day treatment of Denagard, then I would wait and see if she improves with little TLC to the eye. Flush the eye daily with saline or sterile water and apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin. Watch to see that she is eating/drinking well. The whole flock may benefit from vitamins, probiotics and extra protein a couple of times a week as well.
Just my thoughts.
I have been giving stew and scrambled eggs to add protein and got some yogurt today that I have them. I do have erythromycin ointment that I tried in her eyes tonight will apply again in the morning and hope for the best! I have wondered if after 6 days of Denegard maybe it's dust in the coop or any irritant?

Dust from bedding and feed, molds and not enough ventilation in the coop can all contribute to irritations too.

How large is your coop?
My coop is 10x10 with 7 birds inside. I did also find lice on the same bird so have removed about 90% off my deep litter that was about 8 inches and thoroughly dusted the rest and treated roost etc so it is a bit dusty

I exiled the girls from the coop and deep cleaned and sanitized then used a paint brush to paint a mixture of sevin dust and de on the wood I used de on the floor nesting boxes etc and used a natural store bought spray on the girls and then because it's freezing out and they were drenched, it was 8:30pm by this time I took the blow dryer out and dried them and turned on the heat lamp for the night

How cold are your nights?

Are all of 7 chickens sleeping the tiny coop that is in the larger "coop"? If they are all sleeping in there, this may be part of the problem - it's too small and would have poor ventilation. I would suggest that you add some walls or plywood to the screened area of the large coop for wind block and weather protection. That would make a very nice coop. Use your little coop for raising chicks, broody housing or as a "sick ward". https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/properly-winterizing-my-coop.1202676

A heat lamp is usually not needed at all in winter as long as they have protection from wind and their housing is dry.

Re-check your chickens again over the next few day for any more lice/mites. If you see any it would be best to treat with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. imho, DE and natural remedies are not effective on active infestations. Mites/lice can further weaken a bird that is sick, so it's important to get those under control.

None of the girls use the small coop they all sleep on the roost of the big coop now and I covered 2 of the 3 hardware cloth panels with the original aluminum panels from the shed but left the door open hardware cloth for ventilation. The lice seem to be pretty cleared up but will be treating with pesticide once more.

None of the girls use the small coop they all sleep on the roost of the big coop now and I covered 2 of the 3 hardware cloth panels with the original aluminum panels from the shed but left the door open hardware cloth for ventilation. The lice seem to be pretty cleared up but will be treating with pesticide once more.

This sounds good:)

I don't mean to get completely rid of the little coop - it has a lot of uses - it would be great for brooding chicks or to house a broody with chicks, you could use it to separate a chicken if need be, etc. It's just too little for 7 large fowl.

Back
Top Bottom