Depressed due to outcast?

BreakneckRedneck

Chirping
Jun 27, 2022
Back again lol. Cujo is still acting strangely and I’m beginning to doubt she’s sick at all. I’m worried she may just be outcast and sad. She’s always been a bit ostracized from the group due to being much smaller, but it has never stopped her too much. I fear the bullying might have ramped up lately and she’s hiding as a result. I think she’s feeling alone. Could introducing a bantam chick for her to raise boost her spirits? Would it keep her from being so lonely all day? She isn’t broody at the moment but I hear Cochins will turn at the tip of a hat. If I give her an egg now, would it help? Would she even take it?

Pic from today. She only came out from under the bush to enjoy the watermelon once everyone else had gone to bed. She definitely enjoyed it though!

Attachments

• F7E03D96-99BE-45EC-9DC7-7C426EBA11CC.jpeg
    F7E03D96-99BE-45EC-9DC7-7C426EBA11CC.jpeg
    996.9 KB · Views: 13
Do this right now. Mix one teaspoon of sugar into one cup of warm water and give it to Cujo to drink today. If this perks her up and improves her appetite and gets her to behave normally, she is likely being bullied away from the feeder and is slowly starving.

To further test this theory that she's being bullied, put her with the others at feeding time and watch her. If she is pecked and shoved aside, and she ends up abandoning any effort to compete at the feeder, then she is a bullying victim. Here's what you can do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Like the above advice.
Our hen wasn’t bullied eating, she’s actually the best hunter, scrappiest to get treats/ feed. She was just overall lonely a bit. They pecked her off to the lower roosting bar all to herself. They are part of her comb this past Summer. She was the first to go broody so due to the other issues our hearts just had to let her have babies. She has her two chicks now and is a completely different hen…confident and unwilling to put up with nonsense. She stood her ground twice yesterday and let them all know she wanted no part of shenanigans. I’m confident we did the right thing because now she acts as though she knows she belongs. Following to see what you choose to do and the outcome! GL!

Back
Top Bottom