Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

bean cakes

left over pinto beans
enough flour to make a dough
(really depends on how many beans are left over)
stir together to make your dough
fry in oil lard or what ever you have
they are delicious!!!!

Beans and Potatoes

Peel and cut potatoes into bite size pieces boil till fork tender
use fresh green beans cut into 2-3in. pieces boil till tender
dice a small onion and saute it in butter till golden brown, do not burn
Then melt a half a stick of butter, drain the potatoes and green beans and mix with the melted butter and onions! Yum!
I use 5-6 potatoes and about a pound of green beans!
My Grammy said that would be the meal. If you were lucky some meat or bread with the meal was a treat!
Brenda

I just ordered, off half.com, "How to Cook a Wolf", by M.F.K. Fisher. It was written at the start of WWll. It looks really interesting! You can 'look inside the cover" at it on Amazon.

Parson's Wife :

smile.png
This may not be very helpful...but if you can...
Buy an amish cookbook.
There are lots of interesting recipes in them, and the book is usually thick with recipes...
NOTE...some you will have to have a little knowledge in cooking to understand them...(the way the ingredients are listed, etc...)
I have found my book to be very, very helpful...with many oldtime recipes in them.
big_smile.png

I SO AGREE. Get an Amish cookbook. The meals are super delicious and they make a good size batch so there is always leftovers!!!

My husbands grandma bought me one, and I use it more than any other cookbook I own.​

Or a Grange Cookbook, I just picked up one from 1950 at our churches yard sale, $1.50 !!! I couldnt believe it, those things are like gold around here. The older the better for all those great scratch recipes.

Speaking of Amish cookbooks, there is a cookbook that was put out from the people of Lancaster County PA and it had both Amish and non Amish recipes in it. Some of my family's recipes were published in it, and several of their friends recipes. Very yummy food, and yes, basics, and cheap.

big_smile.png

what I have to offer is nt a recipe . . . although I many. but i thought I would share how I have cut our grocery bill and improved our waistlines.

I am extremely obsessive about schedules and order and so created a weekly meal plan. It has made life in the kitchen a snap, we rarely use processed foods anymore and hamburger is no longer a household staple.

Monday - beans/rice
Tue - white meat (pork or rabbit)
wed - Fish
Thu - leftovers
Fri - red meat
sat - salad
sunday - chicken

By sticking to this schedule I can do most of my shopping once a month.

beans are on Monday because I can start them on Sun night when I have extra time, then I don't have to do anything i the kitchen all day that day - which is usually a crazy day!
I used to forget to make fish and give my family all those benefits that come with it - now we always have it once a week.
thu - if you schedule a dday for leftovers you will actully use them -previously I was so guilty of forgetting them until they went bad.
Cutting back to red meat once a week - my husband thought he would die at first - now he looks forward to it and if we do eat out it is usually on a friday and he knows he can order a STEAK.
we have salad on sat because that is the day I go to farmers market and work in my garden.
And of course everybody needs chicken on Sunday with the whole family sitting down togetherfor sure.

Around these parts, every church is over 150 years old and have cookbooks composed of old family recipes. I must have about 8 cookbooks all filled with these depression-era recipes. We use quite a few of them, and at any church potluck or picnic they are still common to eat.

Back
Top Bottom