Describe your duck's personality in one word

Awwww...He's autistic

Oh gosh now you got the husband going on that one!!! He already picks on my horse for having "a hot pink rope halter", my cat for being "retarded", my Pekin girl for being "Handi-Quacked", and now the poor duckie too!!!

LOL
big_smile.png

Doogie = Special (needs)!!
roll.png

Rory = Sweetness (He loves being cuddled and stops Mr. Snoogles from bullyin Doog)
love.gif

Mr. Snoogles = Scheming (evil genius is aways up to something! Thinks he's above the pecking and intelligence order than me! Probably is...)
lol.png

i think my drake is a little slow too. one day he was in the bath with his girl friend and he got his bill stuck in the tub faucett. i was soooo scared he was bleeding and i was freaking out. then like 2 days later he ran out of my room and chased a cat and fell down some stairs..
barnie.gif
i was mad at him for not paying attention lol. my poor little retard. oh he has stare downs with himself in the mirror too HAHAHA it's funny.

Daphne

We decided to get four ducks because of Ticks.
Started them from day two inside our home. We later put them in a pen outside. When they got a couple months old they wouldn't go into the pen anymore. after a couple more months went by one of the ducks disappeared, later we found some feathers and knew the fate. Pretty sure the predator to being Fox(s) because we had seen them snooping around.
After that the ducks would spend their nights in the middle of the pond. This went on until last winter when the pond froze over. We got up one morning and there was three scuffle marks on the pond and no sign of ducks. My wife a I commute together and on the way to work we drove over a bridge and looked down at a brook that had open water and there was a female Mallard all by herself. My wife said we should go back and see if the duck comes to us. I said no that she never few much and was probably dead. Later that evening we went home and Daphne was up against the house looking very scared. I picked her up and put her in the pen.

She stayed in the pen most of the time. I would feed her in the morning and at night. When we had a day off we would leave the pen door open and she would go in and out. She liked coming to our door and visiting. We have a couple Boston Terriers and she loved chasing them around. Later in the spring we would leave her pen door open and come home before dark to close the door. At this point she had got pretty lonely and would come right into the house. She would chase the dogs around. We would put water and her favorite (Kale) down for her. she would hang out for awhile, then head back out. At this time she started to put her head down when she wanted us to pat her. When I called out either her name or "little girl" she would start quaking. She was part of the family.

One day she had a couple Mallards stop in at the pond (Male & Female). She seemed to love the company. I was still able to close her in at night but she would be up and waiting when I came out to give her breakfast. She would head right down to the pond. Sometimes they would be down there first thing and other times they would come soon after.
After awhile they stopped coming but she would still look for them.
Then one morning I looked down at the pond and there were two Male ducks fighting over her. She was having her first love affair. this lasted a short time, maybe a few days. Then they were gone.

Her true lover showed up one day. He was around most of the time and bigger than the other ducks but a bit smaller than Daphne. Now Daphne wasn't going to stay in her pen at nights. She would come up to the pen for her food and to visit but spent most of the time with her new boyfriend. He would spend most of the time with her swimming and foraging. Sometimes he would come up to the house but fly away if he saw us looking out the window or if we started to open the door.
She started to lay eggs but didn't spend anytime with the eggs until they her brood was finished.

She was now spending most of her time on the nest. The first thing I would do when getting up in the morning was look out our bay window (She made her nest up against the house near the spot we found her coming home after work that night.) that overlooked our pond. I would get a cup of coffee and sit having my coffee. The first thing I usually saw was two or three lines in the dewey grass between the house and the pond that was a couple hundred feet away. She would either be in the pond or foraging on the grass in front of the pond or in her pen eating or on her nest. Her boyfriend was staying in the floating house we built the ducks that they never used. He got sick of hanging out alone and soon took off.

This routine of looking for my little girl continued each morning for a few weeks maybe a bit longer. One morning I got out of bed and looked out and didn't see any lines in the grass. She wasn't in the pond or foraging. I looked at her nest through the bay window and it was empty. I ran out to the pen to see if she was eating with no luck I went to her nest that we were trying to avoided because when we would look at her when she was on her nest she would open her beak but not make a noise. We finally got it, she didn't want us to blow her cover. Some of her eggs were a little ways from the nest and a couple had been what looked like broke open.

I was devastated and went to work. While at work I looked up ducks up "Ducks nesting" on the net and found that within eight hours of the eggs hatching the mom takes them to water and hides them alongside the edge of the pond. I got a bit excited and couldn't wait to go home. When getting home like all the other mornings when first getting home, I looked for my little girl. She was nowhere to be seen. I looked in the pen and for the first ever her food had not been touched. I still wanted to think she was okay and had some little ones.

I had been thinking all day about the possibility of little ones and had decided to make a few changed to the float to make it easier for her babies to get on and some other things. I brought my tools down, got into the kayak and paddled out to the float, made the changes and started to walk across the lawn. I looked down and saw a small pile of feathers. I then looked around and there were a total of three piles. I also found a couple"whole"eggs more than 100' away from her nest.

After reading on the net and looking at the evidence I have come to the conclusion that she must have had flown away after being found by a few Fox's. She was probably trying to get the Fox's to come after her and leave her babies alone. This Probably didn't work and that's why I found eggs so far away from the nest. I think she came back to try to detect the eggs but got attacked herself.

I never would have thought I would have falling in love with a duck. She was my little girl. I sit here all teared up.

Back
Top Bottom