Desert Chickens-- moving to Arizona

Mkaz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Huntsville, AL
My husband is in the military and we are being moved to Arizona late this spring. I have 4 hens-- 1 barred rock, 1 RIR, 1 black astralorp, and 1 salmon favorelle.

I'm worried about keeping them there. Most of the houses we've seen have yards with no grass! We're in Texas now and it gets hot but we have grass! And a big yard that they free range in all day.

Any advice would be so helpful!

First off
welcome-byc.gif
Second I looked up some info on having chickens in the desert and I learned that 1. You can keep chickens in the desert 2. Instead of grass fresh greens are fine (lettuce, cabbage, spinach, radish, romaine, and swiss chard) 3. Extra water 4. Shade
I hope this helped
cool.png

Grace

Anywhere that has water can grow grass. Bermuda grass grows really good in our climate and is great for chickens to pick at. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Everywhere I've been has grass except for this ranch which is on a well and not suitable for watering grass - but the chickens get horse hay and greens from my garden all the time. Mine free range in the desert and find plenty of things to pick up and eat - theres wild quail everywhere and they seem to thrive.

They can have issues in the heat but wetting down the ground/coop helps during hot summer days. Bigger breeds get hit the hardest, but I haven't had a problem with any of mine yet. I just pay attention to them on hot days.

I hope you like Arizona, I totally love it. I'm a native and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon!

Back
Top Bottom