Desperate! advice needed about administering oral medication

Coop de Grass

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 30, 2015
South Brunswick, New Jersey
Hi,
I am in the midst of our first illness in more than one hen. It is a respiratory illness with mucus in the mouth and "nostrils" as well as gurgling when breathing.

I started with Duramycin which has worked with most of the hens who were just begining to show symptoms. The flock is confined in coop and large run, and the only water they have access to has the Duramycin in it. It is removed at night and fresh mixture is given each morning. Most of the flock is almost back to normal. I have 3 hens who were not responding, so I go Tylan 50 and gave the first intramuscular injection into the breast to all 3 hens yesterday. There hasn't been a significant improvement.

The light Brahma hen who had been recovering the best and had stopped mouth breathing now has her right eye closed and a large swollen area under it. Before her eye shut I was able to remove the pus. I pressed some mucus out of it yesterday, but am concerned that I am pushing the infection into the surrounding tissue. She is in the house with the Buff Orpington.

The Buff Orpington hen continues to mouth breathe and gurgle. I am worried that when I use a syringe to give her medication, that liquid is going "the wrong way" because the gurgling sound is much worse.

Then there is the Bielefelder hen who started the mouth breathing last, and continues to mouth breathe with almost no gurgle. She doesn't voluntarily drink the medicated water that is the only water available to the rest of the hens.

I have continued the Duramycin today because the Tylan 50 did not seem to have kicked in.

Should I not do that? I thought that I would see improvement fairly quickly.

Any advice would be wonderful! If the Brahma's eye is worse in the morning I am going to take her to the vet.

Thank you for your help,

HELP!! I was outisde with my chickens and I look down at one of my hens (I think she is a Rhode Island Red) Anyways she is walking very slow, she also just stood there and kept falling asleep.. she is eating but not much at all, she is again, walking VERY slow!! This isn't like her she is usually running around scratching!! She isn't scratching or anything! I also want to mention her comb and face are normal they are the usual color!! Anyone know what this is??

I've dealt with this before with a friends flock. First I did the Tylan 50 orally for 5 days. Any birds that had any eye bubbles or irritation got some triple antibiotic cream in the eye. After the 5 days most were getting back to normal but the ones that didn't respond as well got baytril for another 5 days. The eyes should respond the fastest I've found with the triple antibiotic cream. You can also use vetrx to help their breathing
Keep in mind that they will be carrier of this for life and any poultry that comes in contact with them will also become carriers.
Also don't eat any of the eggs for at least 12 after last dose of meds
Hope this will help

I've dealt with this before with a friends flock. First I did the Tylan 50 orally for 5 days. Any birds that had any eye bubbles or irritation got some triple antibiotic cream in the eye. After the 5 days most were getting back to normal but the ones that didn't respond as well got baytril for another 5 days. The eyes should respond the fastest I've found with the triple antibiotic cream. You can also use vetrx to help their breathing
Keep in mind that they will be carrier of this for life and any poultry that comes in contact with them will also become carriers.
Also don't eat any of the eggs for at least 12 after last dose of meds
Hope this will help
Thanks for getting back to me. The Light Brahma died yesterday morning. She hadn't eaten since Saturday and even the gatorade couldn't keep her going. We did start all the sick hens on Tylan 50 injections, but she did not respond. She was a special hen because we nursed her through a bad hawk attack.

Not all the hens have eye problems, and most of them did not get sick because the only water they had access to had Duramycin in it. What will they be "carrriers" of? (sorry for the grammar!) Will the ones that didn't show symptoms, be considered carriers?

I have a brooder coop inside the run. The chicks are 5 weeks old - no symptoms but they aren't allowed out into the run. They have also been getting medicated water.

I know that you can't really give me an answer, but I have to ask :)

Quote:
Thank you. I am relatively new to chickens and I gather that there are many different respiratory illnesses out there. I am concerned about the chicks that have been in the smaller coop. I have an inner run attached to the coop - 10x10, and that is surrounded on two sides by an outer run that adds 10' forward and 10' to one side. The chick house is against the outer wall of the inner run (!) and inside the outer run. They can see the big girls and big girls can see them. I was about to start letting them explore. I guess they will be exposed if they haven't already been. Is the run and coop also contaminated? so many questions! thank you.

Back
Top Bottom