Desperate and upset.

Newfarmer36

Songster
Dec 31, 2017
West Monroe, Louisiana
Let me start off with please don't bash me for this.
I had 4 chickens dumped on me. My neighbors moved out and left their chickens, ducks and pig. I wasn't going to let them starve so I had no choice but to take them in. I had never had any farm animals before and with having them so quick, I didn't get to do any research on how to care for them. I've had them since August. I've read alot about them since.

Now, I thought chicken poop was supposed to be runny. After seeing quite a few posts about their poop, I see that it's not normal at all. For the past 3 weeks, I've had 2 rubber like eggs that didn't have shells. A couple of days ago, I found a lash egg and today I found another one of those rubber like eggs. I don't know which one is doing it and I'm not about to cull all 13 of my hens to make sure that the one is out of her misery. Yesterday, I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and put 1 tbsp of ACV per gallon to maybe help with the lash/rubbery eggs. I cut holes in it and put those little cup like dispensers in it. They also had quite a bit of feed left. When I came home, I couldn't get water out of the dispensers which means my poor chickens have been thirsty all day. They ran out of the coop when I unlocked it and ran straight to the kiddie pool that has water in it. All of their feed was gone except for the crumbs. I usually get 9 or 10 eggs a day. Today I only got 5 and when I went to collect the eggs, the straw in the nesting enclosure was shuffled around and all of the eggs were covered. I've bought several chickens since August and I was about to get 2 more next week but I feel like I've completely failed them bc they don't seem healthy and it doesn't look like I need anymore since I clearly don't know how to care for them correctly .. I don't know what to do. I don't know what's causing the runny poop. I'm keeping the coop as clean as I can.. they get to eat bugs everyday. Other than this afternoon, their feed bucket is always full. I stopped giving them salad stuff bc I found out that that's pretty much treats for them. Can someone please help me and tell me what's wrong and what to Do? I'm sorry for the long post but I'm at a loss here.

I've had some lay those shell less eggs before. I was told that when they are young their body is still figuring out what to do. Some cracked oyster shell may help with that. As far as the runny poop, mine also get that from time to time. For me as long as it's a healthy color I don't worry too much. Usually it passes. If it starts to look like blood is in it or more water that poop then you may have a problem.

Let me start off with please don't bash me for this.
I had 4 chickens dumped on me. My neighbors moved out and left their chickens, ducks and pig. I wasn't going to let them starve so I had no choice but to take them in. I had never had any farm animals before and with having them so quick, I didn't get to do any research on how to care for them. I've had them since August. I've read alot about them since.

Now, I thought chicken poop was supposed to be runny. After seeing quite a few posts about their poop, I see that it's not normal at all. For the past 3 weeks, I've had 2 rubber like eggs that didn't have shells. A couple of days ago, I found a lash egg and today I found another one of those rubber like eggs. I don't know which one is doing it and I'm not about to cull all 13 of my hens to make sure that the one is out of her misery. Yesterday, I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and put 1 tbsp of ACV per gallon to maybe help with the lash/rubbery eggs. I cut holes in it and put those little cup like dispensers in it. They also had quite a bit of feed left. When I came home, I couldn't get water out of the dispensers which means my poor chickens have been thirsty all day. They ran out of the coop when I unlocked it and ran straight to the kiddie pool that has water in it. All of their feed was gone except for the crumbs. I usually get 9 or 10 eggs a day. Today I only got 5 and when I went to collect the eggs, the straw in the nesting enclosure was shuffled around and all of the eggs were covered. I've bought several chickens since August and I was about to get 2 more next week but I feel like I've completely failed them bc they don't seem healthy and it doesn't look like I need anymore since I clearly don't know how to care for them correctly .. I don't know what to do. I don't know what's causing the runny poop. I'm keeping the coop as clean as I can.. they get to eat bugs everyday. Other than this afternoon, their feed bucket is always full. I stopped giving them salad stuff bc I found out that that's pretty much treats for them. Can someone please help me and tell me what's wrong and what to Do? I'm sorry for the long post but I'm at a loss here.

Don’t worry it’s a common problem that all poultry owners face
There is many reasons
Causes:

1) Young layers often lay soft-shelled eggs when they are first getting started. This should stop once their reproductive systems mature and fully develop.

2) Stress can cause a hen to lay her egg prematurely without the shell. Being chased by children, or harassed by dogs or other predators can be the cause of great stress and fright.

3) Older hens often lay thin-shelled eggs since the same amount of shell must encompass a much larger amount of yolk/white than when she was younger (eggs generally get larger as a hen ages).

4) A Calcium deficiency can result in soft-shelled eggs, so be sure you provide the added calcium supplement in the form of egg- or oyster shell.

5) A Vitamin D deficiency can also result in eggs with soft shells, so allowing your chickens time outdoors year round is important.

6) Far less common, soft-shelled eggs can be a symptom of such diseases as Newcastle disease or infectious bronchitis. If you are regularly seeing soft-shelled eggs, a vet should be consulted if you have ruled out all other causes.

Prevention:

1) Crushed eggshell or oyster shell should always be made available to your flock on a free-choice basis, not mixed into their feed. This way each hen can eat as much or as little as she needs. Different hens absorb calcium differently, and depending on how good a layer she is, one hen may just need more than another.

2) Avoid feeding spinach, as well as beet greens, chards and citrus fruits, all of which which can interfere with calcium absorption. If soft-shelled eggs are a problem, try cutting those treats out completely. If you do feed them in the future, add some apple cider vinegar to their water (1 Tablespoon of ACV per gallon of water) which helps increase calcium absorption rates

3) Add some herbs and other greens rich in calcium to their diet. These include: alfalfa, burdock root, chamomile, chickweed, clover, dandelion greens, horsetail, lambs quarter, mustard greens, nettle, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, rose hips and watercress.

4) In severe cases, some liquid calcium can be added to your flock's water as an added calcium boost.

First off.. kudos to you for stepping up and taking them in.:hugs
Caring for farm critters can be daunting in the best of situations so don't beat yourself up. We were all once beginners and have had to learn and are still learning.
There could be a number of things going on so first off some questions.
How many chickens total are in the coop?
What size coop? Is there a run and if so how big?
How long do they get to free range daily?
What are feeding and what is the protein percentage?
Do you offer grit and oyster shell freely?
And these are just the basics so be prepared for more questions, it's the only way to help figure out what's going on. I sure hope we can get it all settled and get you on your way to a happy healthy flock. :fl
@WVduckchick
@casportpony
@orrpeople
Can you please see if you can with any of this? And thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Here’s some websites that will help you out a load on how to care for your chickens and how to keep them all happy and healthy

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Chickens

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-care/guide-toc.aspx

https://www.thespruce.com/daily-and-monthly-chicken-care-tasks-3016823

https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/a-complete-beginners-guide-to-keeping-chickens

Don’t worry, we all start off in different ways, some are more experienced and know everything and some are only getting started and learn as they go on ! I wish you the best of luck

Attachments

• 69163412-DE4B-4405-A80D-87A158C28F88.jpeg
    69163412-DE4B-4405-A80D-87A158C28F88.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom