Desperate and upset.

Please keep us informed about any progress. Good luck! And thanks for adopting and being a caring animal hero!
Will do! No thanks needed. I was only doing what was right. I would never leave my animals behind. And for the people that do, they're not worth a thing! They should be put somewhere and starved for a while. And see how they like It!

Good for you for taking in these birds and keeping them alive for the past 8 months. I don't really have anything to add on the poop or feed question. I am wondering, though, if you have a run attached to your coop so they can get outside during the day. That will give them a little more space and help reduce the stress. You can build a run fairly inexpensively with 2x4" welded wire and fence posts. I would also put the welded wire as a cover on the run to keep aerial and climbing predators out. This is what my run looks like:
View attachment 1359762

Most of the time my chickens free range, but it's handy to have a run when a predator has found your flock, or you're going to be gone for a few days, or when visiting family brings their dogs that haven't been trained to leave chickens alone.

Don't beat yourself up. As others have said, we all started somewhere and we all have made mistakes (and still do - don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise!). I'm glad you decided not to get any more chickens at the moment with the size of your coop. Over crowded chickens can develop all kinds of bad habits, like feather picking and cannibalism. Integrating new birds requires extra space for it to go well. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! I bought all the lumber for a coop and it cost me around $500. Couldn't get people to help so I brought it all back. I spent 6 hours in the yard by myself building a run(again, couldnt find help) when it came time to put wire on the top, the wire fell through and I didn't have enough of it even if it stayed up like I thought it would.

Forgive me for saying so but I think there is an extra hot, special place in Hell for people who hurt, abuse, and neglect animals. :mad::mad::mad:
Believe me when I say I'm on board with you!! They've left their dogs behind for a weekend of fun in Florida with no food, no water .. and it was FREEZING outside!! Of course , my husband and I fed and watered them BUT it's not my job to take care of someone's animals . I have 2 dogs and a cat. Which I had before the chickens. My husband has left me here to go to Tennessee to visit his grandfather so I could be here with them. Every summer, the in laws take vacations and always offers for us to go. And we never have bc of our babies.

You are getting lots of good advice here, but I would add that maybe with the number of chickens, some of the lower pecking order hens may not be getting access to the oyster shell. It is a good idea to have 2 or 3 containers out so they all can get it.

Or you could just scatter it on the ground so their all getting an equal amount

Thank you! I bought all the lumber for a coop and it cost me around $500. Couldn't get people to help so I brought it all back. I spent 6 hours in the yard by myself building a run(again, couldnt find help) when it came time to put wire on the top, the wire fell through and I didn't have enough of it even if it stayed up like I thought it would.
Watch your local Craigslist or rummage sale sites for storage sheds for sale. You'd likely have to hire someone to haul it, but might be worth it if you can swing it.

Back
Top Bottom