Desperately need info

AngelaJ

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2020
Hello from San Francisco. Our 4 week old chicks have run out of food. All pet stores are closed, and will be indefinitely and I have no food to give them. Can I feed them cornmeal? Grits? I’m not sure what to do. I’m scoping out my pantry because that’s all we have. What can I feed these guys?

IMG_1146.jpg

Sound awful, hope this provides some help

Hello from San Francisco. Our 4 week old chicks have run out of food. All pet stores are closed, and will be indefinitely and I have no food to give them. Can I feed them cornmeal? Grits? I’m not sure what to do. I’m scoping out my pantry because that’s all we have. What can I feed these guys?
Walmart and tractor supply are both open and carry chick feed (and ship to home). Any other poultry feed that is NOT layer would also be fine... starter, grower, flock raiser, all flock, meat bird, etc.

Some standard grocery stores may also sell small bags of chick feed in their pet departments.

The info in post # 2 is good for short term purposes...

If you can't find feed at a store, consider posting an ad on Craigslist farm and garden section for someone who might part with a little feed from their supply... Petaluma is like the chicken capital at one time... lots of chicken farmers in that area.

:fl

ETA: don't forget it isn't just protein but amino acids that's key. Chickens are omnivores... those babes will eat meat also.. cooked ground beef (maybe raw), chicken, tuna, etc. Grit can be a pile of dirt. Corn meal should be a bit higher in protein than standard corn.

Thank you everyone! I was able to find chick feed. There’s a pet store in town who is defying the shelter in place so pets can eat. I had to walk there, but I did get a bag. I hope all of you don’t get the order to hunker down. It’s a mess.

Feed stores are considered essential here. Do you have any near you? (Tractor Supply, etc) or order online for delivery. Heck, I saw some at Walmart the other day even! Who knew!?!

Make your suet for them. Cornmeal pranut butter some pumpkin (if you like). I put it into a pie plate for them. Also feed them vegetables and peels from potaties and carrots. Weed your yard and give them the weeds you pull. Meal worms for protein if you can get them (maybe pet stores).

Meal worms for protein if you can get them (maybe pet stores).
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Did you even read the original post that stated ALL pet stores are closed?? :confused:

Many folks don't realize that mealworms are a good source of protein but should be limited as they are also VERY high in fat... 48% protein and 40% fat... http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm#freeze

They can be shipped by mail though, even live.. from right inside California... and even on Amazon from the same seller.

Thanks for sharing your ideas though and participating in trying to help someone! :highfive:

ETA: eggs are 34% protein and 64% fat... half the protein is found IN the yolk.

Thank you everyone! I was able to find chick feed. There’s a pet store in town who is defying the shelter in place so pets can eat. I had to walk there, but I did get a bag. I hope all of you don’t get the order to hunker down. It’s a mess.
I'm so glad you found some feed, and I do hope that you bought WAY more than you think you need. I know SF is a tough place to find farm items. We are all in the same boat, more or less. Buying online might be the best for you in the future. Things are mostly closed here as well. We have two feed stores open (we are in the country, so to speak), Walmart and FoodMaxx. The drive up for Walgreens is open too. The Chico Mall and most other eating places are closed except for drive-thru. I have 44 chickens and an egg sales business, that is not getting business right now. Good Luck with your babies! :hugs

Here are my new babies:
easter egger chicks 3 weeks old.jpg

Back
Top Bottom