I cracked 4 open, It was tiny but quite developed (feathers, and it had turned towards the large end of the egg) it was stuck to the top of the egg and completely wrapped up in what I think is the membrane. It looked shrink wrapped but also like a sticky chick. What caused this? Was it the humidity? Do you think it will effect the other eggs? (Sorry for the load of questions).

I have eggs in my incubator now that were shipped. 12 blue Ameracauna eggs and 9 Ayam Cemani. I tried to candle when they arrived. The Ameracaunas looked good but most, if not all of the Cemani had detached air cells. I let them all sit for 24 hours with the large end up and then all were put in my incubator in the turner but with the turner turned off. I am going to let them sit in the turner and not be moved for 4 or 5 days. Then I will start the turner. I will wait a week before trying to candle them again. The less handling the better with shipped eggs. Wondering if you did the same for your shipped eggs or did you put them right in? I have also been told that the trick with shipped eggs is to incubate them with the large end up and not on their sides. The egg turner I have holds them up on end. Fingers crossed here.

I waited roughly about 12 hours before I put them in but the turner started about a hour after I put them in,they are on their sides and it is day 16, should I put them large end up? Is there really a point since its day 16? Showing movement, hopefully they will hatch. :fl

I would not know the answer to that, or if there is one. It's kind of into the cycle. This is my first foray into shipped eggs. I read a ton of posts before they arrived as the biggest problem seemed to be damaged air cells and I really want these to hatch. I know it's a gamble but these birds are not available close to me and I want to try. My own eggs and eggs I have driven myself to get have about a 100% hatch rate. Hoping that I even get 50% with these though the blues did look really good and were packed better than fine china. The posts I read all seemed to indicate that, given the time to sit and rest, the air cells do have an ability to correct issues. Letting them sit for several days before turning and sitting upright gave the chick a chance to start developing with it's head facing the air cell.

They all look good, not sure only about egg 4. I have also purchase eggs and absolutely all of them had dislocated air cells. One embrio quit at day 7...I hatched using the same incubator 11/12 despite air cells issue. Keep your hopes up.

Back
Top Bottom