Developing my own breed

peepdaddy

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2009
Wolfe co.
I originally posted this under another thread but felt it was more appropriate to start a new thread. I've been developing my own dual purpose breed for several years.
This first picture is a rooster several generations into the project. He became the foundation sire.

Attachments

• ancestor.jpeg
    ancestor.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 55
These are his descendants, several generations down the line. This rooster and 4 hens are what I'm currently breeding. My first hatch this year was 13 babies. All barred feather pattern.

Attachments

• descendant #2.jpeg
    descendant #2.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 20
Cool. I had plans for a high volume light blue egg layer before we got Mareks. That put the brakes on things for a while. We are all recovered now but I am not taking in any outside birds right now because if bird flu. Maybe someday. Good luck with your breed.

My goal is a bird that is table ready at 20 weeks, but unlike most "heritage breeds" is well muscled despite spending most of its life on pasture will little to no supplemental feed.
Best of luck. If you don't mind a little advice? I would encourage you to be persistent. It's an effort intensive process. Keep your goal in mind and try not to get sidetracked. Don't add too much new blood unless you see that your original genetics are falling short of what you want to accomplish then be very choosey with any additions.
Another pic.

Attachments

• decendant #1.jpeg
    decendant #1.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom