Dewlap African Geese...Post pics!!!

Quote:
my brown chinese reliably fall over the curb that surrounds the coop area - they've been living there for 2 or 3 months now and they still trip going over that curb, rather than negotiating it with intent.
roll.png

He's a sweetheart! He was in the pen and came running to me as soon as he saw me! I'll have to get better pics of him when he's not under the tarp! LOL

I can't wait to get him a mate next year. I had 4 eggs and his was the only one that developed. I've only found one person here in the States that has them.

Laurie

Is their a purpose for the dewlap? Also, does the size of the nob determine what sex the goose is? I only have one of this breed so I don't have another to come it too.

Hi

Yes the knob does increase in size and is usually more prominant in the Ganders. Our Gander hatched in 2010 and his head and knob have increased further this year
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

I bought my 3 geese as Africans, but so far, no dewlaps. They all 3 have knobs though, one goose is much smaller than the others and had something go wrong with its wing(fine when outstretched, but when folded sticks out), maybe that has stunted its growth? We had one goose for months before we got the second 2 and our first has really taken with the smaller one with the wing issue. Whatever they are, they are a joy to watch. Starting to really notice when someone pulls into the drive! We have gotten an egg every now and then. I am afraid to try and sex them, don't want to hurt them and it won't affect how we take care of them. So, if they don't have dewlaps now, will they not ever have them? The 2 larger geese both have more ruffled feathers on their necks, does that mean anything?

Quote:
Do you have pictures of them? Maybe someone can tell what kind of goose you may have or maybe they are a cross. Mine started developing the dewlap a while back and now I can start seeing the nob. She is about 4 months old now. No eggs but she does go in the coop and push around the duck eggs. It sort of seems like she is getting ready for something but she doesn't know what. I feel mine is a she because she doesn't have the thick legs like a male does and her face just looks petite. I'm hoping it's a female since I have a female American Buff and a Sebastapol female and a male. I'd rather have the sebbie male mate with all of them then a Super AFrican mating with a Sebbie. The Sebbies are 6 1/2 months old now.

Just picked these two young girls up from Holderread's yesterday to go with the Buff African ganders I got from Holderread's this past Spring
big_smile.png

106905_girls2.jpg

106905_girls1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom