Dewormer that can be added to food or water? (bloody poop)

I hear that. The jerk avian vet here said the same thing - he actually said he needs to have seen them in the last year. I was like uhhh, they're chickens, I'm supposed to bring the whole flock in for yearly check ups so I can do a fecal? :smack Get outta here...
Thats when you have one bird on file and just bring whichever one is sick under that shared name.

Thats when you have one bird on file and just bring whichever one is sick under that shared name.
That's actually a good idea. The local avian vet charges $75 for a new patient exam. I wouldn't want to do that for every bird in my flock. Come to think of it, why do I buy my own health insurance when I have a sister that looks almost the same as me? :oops:

Thankfully there are other vets around here that don't treat chickens, but will do fecals anyway!

So @SarahGfa I told you I'd be in the same boat, they're on their last day of treatment & still blood. Sending DH out to find some buttermilk today.

How are yours looking today after a couple days of probiotics? I did see in one of the articles @Eggcessive posted that they recommended treating with the antibiotic again 5 days later, at least I think that's what I read, I'll have to go back.

@dawg53 - how long do you recommend the buttermilk & rice? & just give them that, or feed also?

I sure hope DH can find it, I do have both vitamins/probiotics & plain probiotics I can use, but I like the idea of the buttermilk being gentile on their gut.

Thankfully there are other vets around here that don't treat chickens, but will do fecals anyway!

So @SarahGfa I told you I'd be in the same boat, they're on their last day of treatment & still blood. Sending DH out to find some buttermilk today.

How are yours looking today after a couple days of probiotics? I did see in one of the articles @Eggcessive posted that they recommended treating with the antibiotic again 5 days later, at least I think that's what I read, I'll have to go back.
1606568640391.jpeg

I was speaking of this, from the link to: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/coccidiosis that you posted. It was the first time I had seen anything saying to do a 2nd round of the sulfa drugs.

View attachment 2428369
I haven’t heard of giving sulfa drugs that way. I always try to look up dosage on the label if it is included. In the past when Sulmet was available over the counter, it was given in one dosage for a day or two, and then reduced in dosage for a 2-3 days. https://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-drinking-water-solution-12-5.html
Each drug usually has specific dosage.

@dawg53 - how long do you recommend the buttermilk & rice? & just give them that, or feed also?

I sure hope DH can find it, I do have both vitamins/probiotics & plain probiotics I can use, but I like the idea of the buttermilk being gentile on their gut.
I usually give my birds buttermilk and rice the first day, then mix it in their feed for 2 days. It's up to you. They love eating the rice, it looks like maggots to them.

Back
Top Bottom