Dewormer that can be added to food or water? (bloody poop)

Pics

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
Are there any dewormers that I can give to a whole flock without grabbing the chickens one by one? I have been finding bloody poops for the last few days. I assume it is not cocci because they have all been eating medicated chick starter. Which worms cause bloody poop? Thank you.

I hear that. The jerk avian vet here said the same thing - he actually said he needs to have seen them in the last year. I was like uhhh, they're chickens, I'm supposed to bring the whole flock in for yearly check ups so I can do a fecal? :smack Get outta here...
Thats when you have one bird on file and just bring whichever one is sick under that shared name.

Do you have pics of the bloody poop? How old are they? Medicated feed with amprollium will not prevent coccidiosis. It can help to build up some tolerance, but many chickens can still get an overload and have coccidiosis. Can you get some droppings checked by a vet? I would treat them with Corid in the water, and then worm them orally. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Most wormers need to be given orally, and I recommend either Valbazen or SafeGuard. I have used Wormout Gel in the water for 2 days, but it has a strong orange taste. It can be hard to mix as well. It looks to be sold out in some online stores, but you might find the larger size here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/wormout-gel-vetafarm/

I wouldn't panic yet. My littles poop looked better the first day, but the 2nd, 3rd & 4th didnt look good. I'm on day 6 now & it looks 99% normal. I'm hoping you see a good difference in the next couple/few days. Then if not hopefully your new meds will arrive. But keep going with the corid, hopefully it kicks in.

They are fine, eating and drinking and active. So, no corid and no sulfa, and instead give probiotics? Thanks, I would rather do that than keep using medications. Have a good Thanksgiving!!
I agree with Eggcessive, time for probiotics. In this instance, I highly recommend plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. Buttermilk is an excellent probiotic and will coat the intestinal lining and is easily absorbed. It is a much better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end. The plain boiled white rice will help settle the innards. Give them this for several days and you can mix it in their feed if you wish.

Thats when you have one bird on file and just bring whichever one is sick under that shared name.
That's actually a good idea. The local avian vet charges $75 for a new patient exam. I wouldn't want to do that for every bird in my flock. Come to think of it, why do I buy my own health insurance when I have a sister that looks almost the same as me? :oops:

Back
Top Bottom