Dewormer that can be added to food or water? (bloody poop)

Pics

SarahGfa

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 26, 2018
Are there any dewormers that I can give to a whole flock without grabbing the chickens one by one? I have been finding bloody poops for the last few days. I assume it is not cocci because they have all been eating medicated chick starter. Which worms cause bloody poop? Thank you.

Do you have pics of the bloody poop? How old are they? Medicated feed with amprollium will not prevent coccidiosis. It can help to build up some tolerance, but many chickens can still get an overload and have coccidiosis. Can you get some droppings checked by a vet? I would treat them with Corid in the water, and then worm them orally. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Most wormers need to be given orally, and I recommend either Valbazen or SafeGuard. I have used Wormout Gel in the water for 2 days, but it has a strong orange taste. It can be hard to mix as well. It looks to be sold out in some online stores, but you might find the larger size here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/wormout-gel-vetafarm/

These are examples of the poops I have been finding. The chickens are different ages from 6 weeks to adult. Fecal test might not be possible because I don't usually see the poop until it is dried. I will pick up Safeguard and corid first thing in the morning, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    627 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 22
This is what poops look like after 3 days of corid. 20% powder, 2 teaspoons per gallon. So not much improvement. I believe it is one of the chicks (now 7 weeks old) but can't figure out which one. Everyone is active and eating and drinking. @dawg53 I can't get sulfa without a prescription but I have amoxicillin and doxycycline. will those work?

Attachments

• IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    624.5 KB · Views: 18
Amoxicillin and Doxycyline are ineffective treating coccidiosis.
This is what you need. Give a half tablet orally for 5 days to birds showing blood in feces. Get the 30 count. I think the other one is out of stock.
https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collect...e-800-mg-trimethoprim-160-mg-tablets-30-count
I placed an order. It will take some time to arrive, if it is even in stock. As long as the chicks are active and eating and drniking they should be ok with a delay, right?

Back
Top Bottom