Diabetes anyone?

sorry, I'm not diabetic

DH has been type 1 diabetic for 20 years now, he tried that Metformine and couldn't take it (really wish I could find some one to pawn off several bottles to).

one thing he has learned just last year was that because he is Native American is why he became a diabetic when he was just a tall skinny, active man at 34 to become diabetic, he's now 55, indians never ate anything carb or sugar related and diabetes is common in Native American decendants.

Quote:
If he has type one, it is most likely because it was just in his genes, not because of anything he's ever eaten. People of all body shapes gets type one, but it is more unusual for someone to get it later in their life. I was diagnosed with type one as a normal weight four year old who typically ate very well. It is possible that the particular tribe he originates from is predisposed to juvenile diabetes and it has just passed down the line in his genetics.

Cheroke indian is what he is, father came from Oklahoma area. his doctor is the one who asked him what his race was and told him that there was a large number of them showing diabetes.

Hmm, interesting! I have heard that it is more prevalent in some races than others, but I'm not sure exactly which ones. Does he take insulin shots? If he does have juvenile/type 1 and is still on the shots and cannot take metformin (which is often for insulin resistance) talk to him about going on the pump. It has helped me a lot with my insulin resistance. I also started taking a hormone called Symlin which helps with after meal high BG. It also has the great effect of giving me a much smaller appetite so I eat less when I take it.

Last edited:
he takes three kinds of insulin

Lantus
Humalogue
Humiline R

all of them work for different reasons, and he doesn't really watch what he eats, just takes extra if he wants to have goodies. he is only 210lbs so not fat.

Definitely have him look into the pump! It would make his life soo much easier. I used to take all those insulins and it was such a pain. Now I can eat what I want, when I want and my blood sugars have become so much more stabilized. I also don't have to make sure I take my lantus at a certain time everyday and I only need to change my catheter every three days which means less needles. Next time he goes to the doctor, tell him to ask for some pamphlets to read over. It takes some work for about three months to really get the pump fine tuned but I could not imagine going back to shots. The best part is most insurance companies will cover the pump.

I feel like I should work for the pump companies
lol.png
. I'm always telling people to go on it! But seriously, if you, your husband, or anyone else has any questions about the pump please feel free to ask. I've converted a few people to the pump and they love it. It's really not as scary as a lot of people think!

Hi all, I just found this thread...I was diagnosed as Diabetic type 2 this past March. I have lost 22 pounds since then but seem to be at a stand still as far as weight loss right now. I was given my meds via email after blood work but I had to email back and ask if I was diabetic? I know less than most of you here so I will keep reading to learn more. I go for more blood work this Wed. My A1C was very good in April so I am concerned about what it will be this time since I really wasn't told much at the clinic. My sight has deteriorated in the past several months. Sometimes all the info I am trying to read seems to be too much
caf.gif
barnie.gif

Thanks for all the "easy to comprehend" info

Welcome to the group! I forgot about this thread so I am glad you revived it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Sometimes takling to other people with the same disease is really helpful. Doctors have great degrees and are often very smart, but if they don't have the disease it is difficult for them to understand how the people who do have it truly feel.

I have to go for bloodwork for my endocrinologist soon and I do not handle that well. I am getting worse as I get older. I am very tough to get blood from and had a few bad experiences as a kid. Sometimes I hope I will pass out so I won't know what is going on and they can just stick me as much as they want. I'm not even sure what can be done about my fear, but even sitting here right now thinking about it is making my heart race. It stinks that I have a disease where I'm supposed to get blood work every three to six months. :-( Last time I went, they stuck me 7 times before they got a vein.

Hi all, I just found this thread...I was diagnosed as Diabetic type 2 this past March. I have lost 22 pounds since then but seem to be at a stand still as far as weight loss right now. I was given my meds via email after blood work but I had to email back and ask if I was diabetic? I know less than most of you here so I will keep reading to learn more. I go for more blood work this Wed. My A1C was very good in April so I am concerned about what it will be this time since I really wasn't told much at the clinic. My sight has deteriorated in the past several months. Sometimes all the info I am trying to read seems to be too much
caf.gif
barnie.gif

Thanks for all the "easy to comprehend" info

Well, first off Sorry for the diagnoses. It's rather life altering.
I find it odd that the doctor didn't talk to you in person, you got the news in an email. You might want to see if your insurance will cover some nutritional counselling, and have a list of questions ready to ask on Wednesday. Write them down, you'll never remember everything otherwise.
That's good that your A1C is good. Were you sent for a diabetic eye exam? It's really important that they get checked, and you have a baseline for future comparison.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom