diarrea

rmelvin23

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
I have noticed that someone or multiple somebodies have diarrea. None of my ladies appear ill. But it is gross and attracting more flies than normal, this is exactly what I need. Is there something I should be looking out for? Any remendies for diarrea? I only noticed postings that involved multiple symptoms. Thanks for the help.

Hi and welcome to BYC!
Does the diarrhea look like melted chocolate?
sickbyc.gif

Without signs of illness it could be cecal poo that you are noticing; which is completely normal and happens every 6 to 10 movements.
Here's a handy guide (w/graphic pics!) to help you decide if it is cecal poo you are noticing:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Quote:
Gritsar, you absolutely crack me up with the melted-chocolate description. That is SOOOO accurate.

You're thinking exactly as I am: Cecal poop. Flies love that stuff. (I hate it - it's very smelly). And it stains!!

I never could imagine that there was pictures of all kinds of chicken poop! Thank you (I think). I think that my birds are all pooping in the normal range. Thanks again, now I can stop worrying.

Thank you for posting all of those photos. It really helped me as I am a newbie!
Having had dogs all my life, I was concerned when I saw my chickens runny doody.
Now I am just relieved! LOL

Hi and welcome to BYC!
Does the diarrhea look like melted chocolate?
sickbyc.gif

Without signs of illness it could be cecal poo that you are noticing; which is completely normal and happens every 6 to 10 movements.
Here's a handy guide (w/graphic pics!) to help you decide if it is cecal poo you are noticing:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
Thank you so much! I wondered about the melted chocolate theme and the heat..sure gave me a lesson on Poop!
clap.gif
D.gif
goodpost.gif

Well if you look at it this way the chickens are like our human babies..we always look at the babies poo when we change the diapers rightto see if it's normal or if it's different and that is how we tell if our babies are sick. So with Chickens it's the same way. lol

So is this a "normal" poo:

Last edited:
Well if you look at it this way the chickens are like our human babies..we always look at the babies poo when we change the diapers rightto see if it's normal or if it's different and that is how we tell if our babies are sick. So with Chickens it's the same way. lol

So is this a "normal" poo:
It's hard for me to tell from the pic, old eyes and all that.
It could very well be cecal (ceacal) poop, but it could also be a sign of worms. I'm fairly certain its cecal, but I would click on the link in post #2 to compare and be sure.

Back
Top Bottom