diarrhea in RIR hen

dainerra

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Mr. Blue, ?? yr old RIR hen (don't ask, daughter named her) has had diarrhea for a bit over a week. No weight loss, eating and drinking, still laying. She has slowed down from laying every day to every 2-3 days, but all of my hens have in this heat.
Worming? If so, recommended meds? I'm not sure of her age, I got her last year free from a woman who was moving away. Her sister is still laying strong.

I'm on my phone, so can't look at the chart. I'll check it when I get home.
I did assume at first it was the heat, but she did not improve when the weather changed.

I have a poo-eating puppy so want to make sure nothing gets passed around.

Her poo is pretty normal in color, just watery

Forgot to add... she is having a horrible time with a dirty rear. I've tried cleaning her up but she is a mess 5 mins later.

It splashes all over. The others are back to their mormal poo since the heat broke. No signs of any worms in the stools of any of the birds

Quote:
Use scissors to trim fluff/feathers around her rear end for a clear shot to the ground. FYI, chickens can have worms without seeing them in poop. When you see worms in poop, that means their guts are loaded with worms and have no other place to go but out the rear end...as in these pics:

the 'chicken guy' at the feed store took a look at her. He recommended 5 days of electrolytes/vitamins to see if it clears up. Since it started in the heat, he wants to see if she is just out of balance. He, like me, doesn't like to use antibiotics. He worked for many years in the commercial poultry industry and thinks that the over-use of antibiotics is a huge part of the problem.

He said that it is unlikely to be worms since she has no symptoms - increased appetite, weight loss, etc.
So, we're going to try this for 5 days then go to antibiotics.

Quote:
Antibiotics were never mentioned in this thread. I dont believe in using them neither, only as an absolute last resort. You asked about worms and I told you how that works. Also, worms dont cause increased appetite...just the opposite, chickens dont eat when they are sick with worms...they are lethargic, lose weight, and can die from them.
Birds in commercial operations are always in cages and their feet never touch the ground, they cant get worms if their feet dont touch the ground. Besides, commercial birds have short lifespans...off to the slaughter house in about 6-8 weeks if they are meat birds and within 2 years if they are layers. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom