Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having so much better luck with my styro bators when I do the whole thing dry dry dry, like 10% dry. Yes, I've had a couple need help getting out after they had their membranes get too hard, but they all seem to be internally pipping without a problem, its just that they get a little dry once they externally pip.

It must have something to do with the barometric pressure here at sea level and so close to the water too. We get a lot of funnnel clouds here, I bet that has something to do with the barometric pressure (but nothing to do with the eggs).

Having so much better luck with my styro bators when I do the whole thing dry dry dry, like 10% dry. Yes, I've had a couple need help getting out after they had their membranes get too hard, but they all seem to be internally pipping without a problem, its just that they get a little dry once they externally pip.

It must have something to do with the barometric pressure here at sea level and so close to the water too. We get a lot of funnnel clouds here, I bet that has something to do with the barometric pressure (but nothing to do with the eggs).
are you adding water for the hatch?

I'm noticing the same in my RCOM. Just had the cleanest hatch ever and humidity was 10-20%, I think.

-Kathy

Last edited:
say what!?!?! i thought the humidity was supposed to be like 60-80% during a hatch?? How can 15% humidity drown chicks?
what happend do you know?
humidity during hatch does not drown chicks. period.

you set humidity at around 60% to stop membranes drying out during hatch. the wet chicks make it go up higher

if your humidity is at 15% then you are going to be pulling membranes off tired chicks struggling to get out - making more work for yourself and stressing the chicks.

Quote: I have to agree with this, never actually hatch them dry or even under 60% I don't suggest it to anyone. There is research also pointing to lack of humidity in the last days, it actually makes weak chicks and takes the moisture out of their muscles and such. I dont have time to find all the reads, but TRUST ME THERE ARE PLENTY of reason HEALTH WISE to not hatch dry.

I will add, this is the reason I hate the term DRY INCUBATION or DRY HATCH
this is not what is intended with this suggestion as humidity is needed for all incubation, its a bad term to use and I wish that article wouldnt have suggested it as such, just saying. I help so many people that tell me in the first sentance "I did the dry hatch method, no water at all" then I am up all night into morning trying to help new people save chicks, its frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom