Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
frow.gif

I only up humidity when I see first internals, so not really a set day for me, but I am home all the time and can check all the time.

YAY babes!!!
Thanks Sally! I am too so will do the same. And do you lay them on their sides or in an egg carton? I am undecided on that one!

@Waffle
My quite function isn't working for some reason. I love that photo. How many and what kind of chickens do you have?
I had 16 chicks but 15 of them just went to their new home! I kept the one I nursed all day! I put blue food colouring on him so I could tell which one he was lol. They are a mixed breed. Part silkie part bantam of some sort part Polish!! Who knows lol The lady who bought them should have some interesting chicks there!

after so many years of seeing nothing but brown green and dark creme egg's i forgot how awesome it is to hatch out white eggs!!
gig.gif
when i worked with my grandma she had nothing but brown green and dark creme egg's so we never bothered candling them but i was turning my white duck eggs to see vein's glorious glorious pulsing veins!! And i wasn't even trying to candle them i was just turning them and the light from my light bulbs showed the veins as clear as day.

Little help here please!My brain is exploding with questions on this weighing eggs stuff.I looked at an article on weighing eggs but it didnt answer many of my questions

... After less than satisfactory hatches for the last 2 years i am biting the bullet and weighing my eggs. as much as i hate math ...ugh.
But the eggs are so dark i cant see how big the air cell is on most or even see it at all ...guessing isnt cutting it and last 2 hatches i ran the humidity so low 10 % they all were dead and i felt terrible .

So weighed the cartons themself.
Weight the eggs IN the carton
and they should loose 13% in 21 days ...Right?....thats simple
BUT how often do I weigh them in the carton?

One article said ever 3 or 4 days.Seems like pretty often to get them out

I gather I should have 3.25% weight loss each week . Do i need to weigh more often than once a week? in grams?
I did it in ounces this first time then converted to killograms as thats what my scale reads .(.a puppy scale) .635029327 then carton .20..i have noides if this is right went by the computer calculator ..all greek to me
Couldnt I figure how much they should weigh say every 4 days and then just weigh them and see if the % correspond? Like day 4 should be 1 lb 02 oz day 8 should be ..???.etc etc..
Is there a chart saying what each so many days should be % wise or doesnt it matter how much they loose at a time as long as it comes out to 13% day 21? Or should they loose 3.25% a week exactly
Is there an article explaining all this? I didnt see it. Thanks .
idunno.gif

. .
Weigh in at day 7 10 14 18 by day 18 shoot for 13-14% (its best to get weight loss throughout not just at the end)

What did your eggs show last time? too wet, too dry what?

and yes weigh in grams! I weighed each egg with the ducks, and its a pain in the butt so I will never weigh a chicken egg except to check how much weight loss my eye is giving me to compare! I think I go for alot more than 13% weight loss, but I need to confirm this!

in the hatching 101 article I added chochins notes to me!

Some Explainations from cochins1088 on weighing Eggs!
Eggs should lose approximately 11% - 12% of their mass at 18th day of incubation. To monitor mass loss, a person must keep track of an egg’s weight. Optimally eggs should be weighed right after they’re laid, but this isn’t always possible. When eggs are shipped, weigh them as you remove them from the package. Keep in mind that the eggs will lose some of their mass during storage. According to Aviagen, eggs lose about 0.5% of their masses per week in storage.

How to Calculate Mass Loss

First subtract the current weight of an egg from the original weight of the egg. This number will give you the weight loss. Then take the weight loss and divide it by the original weight of the egg. This will give you the fraction of weight that was loss. Lastly, multiply the fraction of weigh loss by 100. This will give you the percent of mass loss.

For example:

Original weight (50 g) - Current weight (45 g) = Weight lost (5 g)
Weight lost (5 g) divided by Original weight (50 g) = Fraction of weight lost (0.1)
Fraction of weight lost (0.1) multiplied by 100 = Percent of weight lost (10%)

For those of you who incubate large numbers of eggs, you can weigh the trays to find the average mass of each egg.

For example:

If a tray weigh of eggs initially weighs 700 grams and the empty tray weighs 200 grams, than the eggs must initially weigh 500 grams. If there are 10 eggs in the tray, then each egg weighs approximately 50 grams.
Let’s say that 2 eggs are removed because they were infertile.
After 18 days, your tray weighs 560 grams. If you subtract the weight of the tray (200 grams), than the eggs must weigh 360 grams. There are 8 eggs in the tray, so each egg weighs approximately 45 grams.
With this example, the eggs lost 10% of their mass by day 18.

WHY to MEASURE WEIGHT LOSS IN EGGS,
MEASURING PROCEDURES (HOW TO), HOW TO CALCULATE, and HOW to interpret RESULTS
http://www.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_Center/BB_Resources_Tools/AA_How_Tos/AAHowto1WaterLossEN13.pdf

For formulas used to determine the weight loss please refer to

Weight Loss Determinations:
http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29983&langid=3

Quote: I have always layed my eggs from the start, until the cabinet bator, but I still lay for hatching..... I have only used the egg cartons for really terrible air cells, and only the first week for somewhat loose air cells. rollers I toss, never had one do anything and if these make it to lockdown they also go horizontal

after so many years of seeing nothing but brown green and dark creme egg's i forgot how awesome it is to hatch out white eggs!!
gig.gif
when i worked with my grandma she had nothing but brown green and dark creme egg's so we never bothered candling them but i was turning my white duck eggs to see vein's glorious glorious pulsing veins!! And i wasn't even trying to candle them i was just turning them and the light from my light bulbs showed the veins as clear as day.
I know they are awesome! ancona ducks even more so!!! amazing to candle!

I have always layed my eggs from the start, until the cabinet bator, but I still lay for hatching..... I have only used the egg cartons for really terrible air cells, and only the first week for somewhat loose air cells. rollers I toss, never had one do anything and if these make it to lockdown they also go horizontal
Awesome thank you. I candled last night, seems like I have lost a couple, I wish I know why these things just stop growing half way through! The one I am unsure of as I just cant see much anymore. It was my most active egg but I am hoping its just getting ready to hatch. They are due Monday

Weigh in at day 7 10 14 18 by day 18 shoot for 13-14% (its best to get weight loss throughout not just at the end)

What did your eggs show last time? too wet, too dry what?

and yes weigh in grams! I weighed each egg with the ducks, and its a pain in the butt so I will never weigh a chicken egg except to check how much weight loss my eye is giving me to compare! I think I go for alot more than 13% weight loss, but I need to confirm this!

in the hatching 101 article I added chochins notes to me!

Some Explainations from cochins1088 on weighing Eggs!
Eggs should lose approximately 11% - 12% of their mass at 18th day of incubation. To monitor mass loss, a person must keep track of an egg’s weight. Optimally eggs should be weighed right after they’re laid, but this isn’t always possible. When eggs are shipped, weigh them as you remove them from the package. Keep in mind that the eggs will lose some of their mass during storage. According to Aviagen, eggs lose about 0.5% of their masses per week in storage.

How to Calculate Mass Loss

First subtract the current weight of an egg from the original weight of the egg. This number will give you the weight loss. Then take the weight loss and divide it by the original weight of the egg. This will give you the fraction of weight that was loss. Lastly, multiply the fraction of weigh loss by 100. This will give you the percent of mass loss.

For example:

Original weight (50 g) - Current weight (45 g) = Weight lost (5 g)
Weight lost (5 g) divided by Original weight (50 g) = Fraction of weight lost (0.1)
Fraction of weight lost (0.1) multiplied by 100 = Percent of weight lost (10%)

For those of you who incubate large numbers of eggs, you can weigh the trays to find the average mass of each egg.

For example:

If a tray weigh of eggs initially weighs 700 grams and the empty tray weighs 200 grams, than the eggs must initially weigh 500 grams. If there are 10 eggs in the tray, then each egg weighs approximately 50 grams.
Let’s say that 2 eggs are removed because they were infertile.
After 18 days, your tray weighs 560 grams. If you subtract the weight of the tray (200 grams), than the eggs must weigh 360 grams. There are 8 eggs in the tray, so each egg weighs approximately 45 grams.
With this example, the eggs lost 10% of their mass by day 18.

WHY to MEASURE WEIGHT LOSS IN EGGS,
MEASURING PROCEDURES (HOW TO), HOW TO CALCULATE, and HOW to interpret RESULTS
http://www.aviagen.com/assets/Tech_Center/BB_Resources_Tools/AA_How_Tos/AAHowto1WaterLossEN13.pdf

For formulas used to determine the weight loss please refer to

Weight Loss Determinations:
http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29983&langid=3

Thanks Sally Im pretty sure i have the humidity down too far.Once used 45 but then seemed like the chicks were gushy coming out too wet My hygrometer said 10 for these last...maybe its right maybe not but i think it is as it seems to work ok in my room air The chicks look mostly done but the area above them where the air sac should be was huge on each one and same size like they died almost done all of them.One was done but died upside down . 3 chick hatched go figure .Only one was Lav Orp and thats what i had the most eggs of.Those mixed chicks my EEs and others will hatch in any condition StrangeI have set more lav Orps than anything so no wonder i have bad luck! Finikey hatchers.. 7 has been my top hatch of them no matter how many eggs i put in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom