Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Sally Im pretty sure i have the humidity down too far.Once used 45 but then seemed like the chicks were gushy coming out too wet My hygrometer said 10 for these last...maybe its right maybe not but i think it is as it seems to work ok in my room air The chicks look mostly done but the area above them where the air sac should be was huge on each one and same size like they died almost done all of them.One was done but died upside down . 3 chick hatched go figure .Only one was Lav Orp and thats what i had the most eggs of.Those mixed chicks my EEs and others will hatch in any condition StrangeI have set more lav Orps than anything so no wonder i have bad luck! Finikey hatchers.. 7 has been my top hatch of them no matter how many eggs i put in..

HOLY FRACTIONS BATMAN!!!!

@lizanne

The History of 'APRONS'
I don't think our kids know what an apron is. The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids..
And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.
REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.
I don't think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love...

I have lockdown of a few CCL I just couldnt eat the eggs lol I think I may have two serama in it as well.

Anyone else having broody issues, molting issues and not laying issues? what is going on! I have been lucky to get 6 eggs from all coops! its really really BAD!!! HarmonyAnns frizzle wait list is huge and I feel bad I cant get ppl what they want!

\sally I need your help. Im trying to find your awesome pictures of the ducks you had inside over winter as I love your ideas of the feeding area!

Dont forget to vote for the BYC spirit and friend awards

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pr-EWXuMRP3tbXzVbMyYcz3qytv1LHPMFSlsqgtFFWw/viewform

• BYC Educator: This is now a Staff awarded accolade. We have changed this award to reflect only the highest standards. Only those who adhere to the highest standards of knowledge and education will be considered for this award. While nominations will be accepted for this award, the Staff will thoroughly vet each person and only those who meet/exceed the Staff's high criteria will be awarded the Educator Badge. Nominees must, among other points, have a verifiable reputation of providing information more than just "common knowledge," assist members in a positive and courteous manner, be open to feedback without getting defensive, and should maintain their good standing with little disciplinary action for rules violation.
  • BYC Friend: These individuals are just plain fun and great to have around! They are our favorite comedians and enablers; our most cluckative. They are always accessible to lend a cordial and helping hand. Their enthusiasm encourages us, their empathy comforts us.
  • BYC Spirit: These individuals best demonstrate ALL-AROUND outstanding service and commitment to the BYC members and community. While maybe not expert educators, they are trusted Educators nonetheless, as well as Friends to all. They are dedicated to the BYC Community as a whole, and strive to help promote, support and uphold its values and goals.
  • BYC Greeter: These individuals are our BYC "Welcome Wagon!" They are the members that are most active in welcoming the new members to our community, especially in the "New Member Introductions" forum. Nominees will be judged on a) How long they've been welcoming new members; b) How many new members they welcome; and c) The quality and friendliness of their welcome.

Ok next thing. I just Candled my duck eggs. (due this monday) and they all seem all over the place as to when they should hatch. I am so confused on what to do now. one looks ready to do an internal pip to me if its still alive that is.

My chick's are here! My chick's are here!

I wanted australorps, bought some eggs and they were NOT australorps! So I decided to order from a hatchery. 5 RIR, 5 austrawhites, and 5 australorps! EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
I have been looking EVERYWHERE for some Black Australorp started pullets. I would love to have my own eggs from them for the incubator. I finely found some, (he even had some roosters to go with them) then the night I was going after them, there was a tornado in the area. I didn't go......next time I called, they were all sold!
he.gif

Last edited:
I have been looking EVERYWHERE for some Black Australorp started pullets. I would love to have my own eggs from them for the incubator. I finely found some, (he even had some roosters to go with them)  then the night I was going after them, there was a tornado in the area. I didn't go......next time I called, they were all sold!   :he  
I've heard that cackle hatchery has the best aussies as far as hatcheries go. So I ordered some day olds. They are in with some cochins, silkie, and swedish flower hens...oh and some wellsummers

Ok next thing. I just Candled my duck eggs. (due this monday) and they all seem all over the place as to when they should hatch. I am so confused on what to do now. one looks ready to do an internal pip to me if its still alive that is.
What do you all think? lock down now?

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for some Black Australorp started pullets. I would love to have my own eggs from them for the incubator. I finely found some, (he even had some roosters to go with them) then the night I was going after them, there was a tornado in the area. I didn't go......next time I called, they were all sold!
he.gif

I hope you find them! Next time I order a bunch of chickens to bolster for egg production, I am going with all BA's. The two I bought from Meyer are laying maniacs, and they are so pretty, kind, with those big beautiful black eyes. Love them! I can't imagine what good, quality heirloom stock BA's must look like.

Good Luck finding them.
MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom