Diary of a Crossbeak: Support for Special Needs Chickens and their Keepers

59600_4835897738130_476738213_a.jpg
155324_4835896898109_403385238_a.jpg

Hi all, With all the diseases & illnesses that are floating about these days in poultry, we see time and time again people asking whats wrong with my hen or duck etc and advising of the symptoms. Well here you can now look for the symptoms for your poultry and check what disease or illness to associated with it. We hope this file helps you!

Symptom Checker .............

Bald Patches: Feather Pecking, Moulting, Lice

Blood in droppings: Coccidiosis, Worms

Chicks:Blood in Stools - Coccidiosis

Lame - Splayed leg or injury

Noisy - hungry/thirsty (have feed/water available at all times) or cold/hot
(huddled together = cold, spaced out at edges of brooder = hot)

Comb:
Small - normal for young pullet and some types of hen
Pink - normal for young pullet, Anaemia
Pale - sign of illness, look for other symptoms like Anaemia
Black - normal skin colour for some breeds or Frostbite
Scabby - Bullying, Northern Mite
Coughing: Respiratory Problems

Crop:
Crop feels like water balloon - Sour Crop
Hard lump in crop - Impacted Crop

Diarrhoea - Diet, Worms, Coccidiosis

Droppings - There are a huge range of chicken droppings to view (please see our other files)

Eggs:
Drop in production - Diet, Worms, Fleas, Red Mite, Egg Peritonitis, common in older hens
Stopped laying - Diet, Moulting, Egg Bound, Worms, Egg Peritonitis, common in older hens
Thin shells - Diet, Egg Peritonitis, also give Mixed Grit, add Apple Cider Vinegar or Tonic to water, common in older hens
Powdery shells - Extra calcium on shell, can be caused by stress
Blood spots - Less common in free-range hens and those on grass, eggs OK to eat
Watery eggs - Common in older hens

Eyes:
Swollen - Injured Eye, Sinus Infection
Closed most of the time - this is general sign of illness so look for other symptoms, they also do this when it's windy and they nap during the day
Bleeding - Injury, Bullying
Face & Eye Swollen - Sinus Infection

Feathers:
Fluffed up - general sign of illness if hen is hunched up, if reluctant to leave nest box see Broody
Loosing Feathers - Feather Pecking, Moulting, Lice

Gasping for air - Respiratory Diseases, Gapeworm

Head shaking - Sinus Infection, Respiratory Disease, Fleas

Legs:
Lame - Injury, Mareks Disease
Scaly - Scaly Leg Mite, can be a sign old age

Scratching - Fleas, Lice, Red Mites

Sneezing - Sinus Infection, Respiratory Diseases

Staying out at night - Red Mites

Straining - Egg Bound, Egg Peritonitis

Sudden Death - Heart Attack

Wheezy Chest - Respiratory Diseases

Wing Hanging Down - Injury, Mareks disease

Chicken Problems, The symptoms and Treatments

Anaemia
Symptoms: Pale comb and wattles, often caused by parasites
Treatment: Tonic in water, apply Diatom powder to the hen, clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Broody
Symptoms: Hen sat on nest box, feather fluffed out, aggressive behaviour
Treatment: All hens can go broody although some breeds are more likely to. If you want her to produce chicks, let her sit on fertilised eggs. If you don't, remove her from the nest as often as possible until she gives up. It may be advisable to wear gloves!

Bullying
Symptoms: Feathers missing, wounds, weight loss, reluctance to leave coop, usually soon after getting hens home or adding new hens to a flock
Treatment: Anti-bacterial wound powder for wounds, anti-pecking spray, ensure they get food -some bullied hens will give up trying to eat and simply waste away!

Coccidiosis
Symptoms: diarrhoea, blood or mucus in droppings, most commonly found in chicks but not exclusively, can result in death or leave permanent damage to the gut
Treatment: Coxoid in drinking water as soon as possible, followed by a multi-vitamin tonic. Use Bi-oo-cyst to kill oocysts in coop/brooder and on drinkers, feeders etc.
Prevention: Vaccination, chick crumb containing a coccidiostat, good hygiene

Dehydration
Symptoms: Hen looks unsteady on her feet
Treatment: Provide fresh clean water, if not drinking use dropper to drip water into her mouth. Can be a symptom of another condition - look for other symptoms.

Diarrhoea
Symptoms: Runny droppings, dirty feathers around bottom
Treatment: Ensure plenty of clean drinking water is available. Feed only layers pellets or mash, with a little corn if it's winter, until the problem improves. Do not give greens or kitchen scraps. A Tonic may help if the problem has been long lasting. If you haven't wormed the flock recently, treat with Wormer.
Egg Bound
Symptoms: Hen looks like she is straining with her bottom close to the ground
Treatment: Difficult to treat, oil (vegetable/baby) around the vent may help, if the egg is broken there is severe risk of infection so please see a vet. Can lead to Prolapse.

Egg Peritonitis
Symptoms: Swollen abdomen, loss of weight, laying soft shelled or no eggs, generally looks unwell, if severe can cause respiratory distress
Treatment: Antibiotics if diagnosed early

Feather Pecking
Symptoms: Feathers missing, bloody wound if severe, can occur when new hens are introduced to a flock or if hens are over-crowded, bored hens can even peck their own feathers out!Treatment: Anti-bacterial wound powder or Gentian Violet Spray for open wounds
Prevention: Anti-pecking spray on new hens, prevent hens becoming bored (more space to forage, perches in run etc).

Fleas
Symptoms: Small insects that jump, reduction in egg production, anaemia, scratching.
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield. Also Tonic in water.
Prevention: Use Diatom regularly inside the coop and on your hens.

Frostbite
Symptoms: Cockerel's comb turns black, the tips may fall off if severe. Hens are less likely to be affected.
Prevention: Rub Vaseline on comb during cold spells

Gapeworms
Symptoms: Gasping, head shaking, neck stretching, gurgling sound (easily confused with respiratory diseases)
Treatment: Worm with Flubenvet

Heart Attacks
Symptoms: Sudden death, usually in older chickens, often as a result of stress.

Impacted Crop
Symptoms: Hard lump in the crop, watery droppings, fluid from mouth
Treatment: Get oil (olive, vegetable) into crop and try to massage the lump so it breaks up and can be passed through the digestive system. If this does not work, see your vet.
Prevention: Use wood shavings instead of straw/hay for bedding and do not feed long grass.

Injury / Open wound
Symptoms: Bleeding, Wound, Sore, Redness
Treatment: If severe apply pressure to stop the blood flow, if just a graze clean the wound, dust with anti-bacterial wound powder or Gentian Violet Spray

Muscle / Soft Tissue
Symptoms: Limping
Treatment: Limit hen's movement to rest the damaged area, make sure she can reach food and water, this takes time but it should heal itself

Eyes
Symptoms: Bleeding, swelling. Can be caused by pecking, accident, foreign object in the eye, sometimes the eye can be missing altogether.
Treatment: Bathe the eye area carefully to see the damage, remove foreign object if present, she may need anti-bacterial eye drops from your vet, if the eye is absent see your vet.

Lice Symptoms: small insects (1-4mm) crawling on the hen at the base of the feather, white spots at the base of the feather are eggs, reduction in egg production, anaemia, scratching.
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Marek's Disease
Symptoms: Paralysis of one leg and/or one wing, loss of mobility, death. Usually occurs in birds between 12 and 28 weeks old.
Treatment: None Prevention: Vaccination as a very young chick, buy vaccinated stock - all the hens and chicks sold by Durham Hens are vaccinated against Mareks.

Moulting
Symptoms: Loosing feathers, not laying
Treatment: Natural process occurring once a year, Poultry Spice can help hens recover quickly

Northern Mite
Symptoms: small insects (less than 1mm) crawling on the hens, anaemia, scratching, reduction in egg production
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield. Also Tonic in water.

Prolapse
Symptoms: Internal tissues sticking out of the vent, hen distressed.
Treatment: See your vet

Red Mite
Symptoms: Anaemia, scratching, reluctance to go into the coop and/or lay in nest boxes
Detection: Use Red Mite Alert to detect the presence of red mite in your coop.
Treatment: Tonic in water, thoroughly clean the coop with Poultry Shield, apply Diatom regularly to the hens.
Prevention: Dust Diatom regularly inside the coop and on your hens. Clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Respiratory Diseases (many with similar symptoms/treatments)
Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing, wheezy chest, head shaking, discharge from nostrils
Treatment: Separate hen from flock, give Herban, Respite or antibiotics (Tylan or Baytril) from your vet

Scaly Leg Mite
Symptoms: Scales lifted on legs
Treatment: Apply Scaly Leg Spray

Sinus Infection Symptoms: Swollen patch below the eye on one or both sides, if severe the eye area may be swollen too, also water/pus from eye/nostril.
Treatment: Separate hen from flock, Herban or antibiotic from your vet

Sour Crop
Symptoms: The crop will feel like a water balloon, soft and squishy.
Treatment: Caused by a fungal infection. Tip the hen forward to let the fluid pour out of the crop through her mouth (CAUTION: do not hold her like this for long as she needs to breathe!) Feed natural yoghurt. If it doesn't improve quickly see your vet.

Splayed leg
Symptoms: In newly hatched chicks, one leg sticks out awkwardly, unable to walk/stand.
Treatment: Tie a piece of wool around one leg at about knee height, leave about 2cm loose between the legs and then tie to the other leg at the same height. This will act like a splint and keep the legs in the correct position. Remove after 2 days or when the chick can walk unaided.

Worms
Symptoms: diarrhoea, blood in droppings
Treatment: worm regularly with Wormer
Although this is a very good list it is not an exhaustive list and there are many more ailments and conditions poultry suffer with and from just like us humans, so please take that into account when reading or using this information, Thanks

MEMORIAL

The sweetest "special needs" chicken anywhere! Ten months ago today we were blessed with 4 free chicks. Three were silkies and one was this sweet d'uccle. As she started to get older her beak began crossing and hence she got her name, "Broke Beak". She was the "pet" chicken as she was allowed to come in the house daily and dine on her mash. She would fly up to the counter to make sure you were making it right, and sample it, as you were trying to make it. She would fly on your back, arm, anywhere she could as you carried the dish to put it down. She was the first one out of the coop squawking loudly and running as fast as her little legs could carry her to the back door. Today she lost the battle of her disability even though I was syringe feeding her. She will be so missed because she was so special. I wish I could of saved her...

Aww so very sad. RIP Bernard and say HI to BB for me :)

So great to hear that Cadbury is doing well. Give her a hug from me.

It's so hard when they appear to be healthy and then you find them gone. I have had that happen to me once and it just leaves you speechless.

Thank you so much.
hugs.gif

I can't believe that just happened today as you wished me condolences. It just breaks my heart and yes, Peaches sounds just like BB. Brought tears to my eyes too.
hugs.gif

Thank you :)
Thank you! I was more than speechless lol I cried! I love my birds! some people may think I overreacted but I'm a 14 yr old girl lol!

I just put Blue down. I spent a lot of time observing him today. He lost interest in pecking at the feeder because he was unable to grab any feed crumbles. He gobbled down every morsel I hand-fed him then went back to try the feeder again but quickly gave up each time. It was so depressing to see him so broken. I didn't want to hand-feed him for the rest of his life because the thought of him only able to eat when I fed him & it dawned on me that he would ONLY be able to eat with me putting food in his mouth, the rest of the day he was to stand there hungry, watching his flock mates feed themselves at will, until I would have been able to get home to feed him. In my heart, I knew this was not humane & not fair to him. It was the first time I had to put a pet down. A sweet, innocent life. Forage free in the meadows of Heaven, little boy. I'm so sorry.

Quote:
I am curious to know as well - about the fermented feed. Bird has been losing weight recently. It's hard to fatten up a chicken with this condition.

Feed to the entire flock. Depending on your flock size, put 2 day's worth of dry food in a bucket (or jar if you have a few chicks) add enough water to cover the feed, and then an inch or two. Add a glug (1/4 cup) of Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar with mother. It is sold by Heinz, Braggs and other companies in most stores. Stir. Warm water speeds up the process.
The first time takes about a day to ferment. After that it is about six hours. Stir twice a day. Add feed and water (no more ACV) daily. Most chickens take to it immediately. They will begin eating less food (saving $$) after about a month.
This will add healthy weight/size.

To Hippie Chicken......There isn't much you can do unless you want to get an animal surgeon to repair the beak and even that might not work at this stage....A friend of mine actually spent many dollars to fix a chicken and then the chicken died....Tough call...Best Wishes

What a cutie you have there, TXMama3boys. I think you have a good idea about separating your little Teek for meals. My little crossbeak jumps at the chance to come out for breakfast. The extra space really seems to help her eat her share.

Chewi at 2 days old
two weeks old
Chewi at one month.
She eats and drinks (she has a favorite feeder that is an old salsa/chip tray) unassisted. Soft treats like melon and banana are her favorites, but if i do a small chop on anything (cucumber, corn, nuts, etc) she munches like a champ. If her beak grows too long, i have a file for my dogs nails that i will trim with but for now she has no idea she is special!

eta: reading all the other stories is heartwarming! Chewi is so NOT a lap bird! She is so independant it is crazy! I have red stars that are gluttons for attention, and Chewis hatchmate Ghiradelli is a shoulder bird-but Chewi is aloof at best! ;)

Last edited:
I've heard Olive Eggers and Ameracuanas are prone to beaks crossing.
Our Olive Egger did SO MUCH better with mash twice a day--just water and the regular chick feed mixed together. She could scoop it up since it stuck together. She could also eat bread with no problem on my lap--she'd make a mess and actually only get every 3rd or 4th bite, but the chicks down below were happy that way too.
A little extra love and time, and they do ok.

That's amazing...how old is Cinnamon? My first crossbeak, a black Ameraucana, was hatched in May last year and hasn't laid yet. I was hoping she might begin this spring but also don't really expect her to produce anything because all her effort and nutrition goes to maintaining her weight. She's thin and spends quite a bit of time eating after dusk when the others are sleeping and no one bothers her. She has to concentrate on scooping up the pellets!

Eggs have a lot of water content and laying hens definitely will need, and do drink, more water.

Beautiful hen and egg too! And yes, when they lay eggs (my hens do it both before, during, and after) they "sing the egg song." I never heard it referred to as an egg song before seeing it on this website--it is quite similar to the alarm/danger noise they make when startled/upset, so I can see how it might sound if she was flustered. It's normal though!

She is 7 months old. Not going to lie she lives inside we give her watered layer feed (mash) and although she's small she's pretty filled out. Her comb has grown lately and is bigger than the other hens. She lays every one or two days it seems. We have to clean her feet and chest every night but she's very tolerant of it and starts to hop up the stairs to her roost all by herself. We do love our little wonder hen.

Back
Top Bottom