How to keep mash from spoiling in the summer? Does fermented last longer?

May 30, 2023
I have a crossbeak chicken that has a much easier time eating mash than dry crumble. When it was cooler, I could bring her a dish each day, and she would graze all day and was gaining well. In the summer heat (90-100), I have been bringing her small amounts about 4+ times a day for her to gain weight properly; otherwise she eats significantly less as it begins to spoil and was not gaining weight well. I have tried prepping ahead of time in the fridge or freezer, but she doesn't eat that as well as lukewarm multiple times a day.

Does anyone have experience with this/tips for keeping mash from spoiling?

Does fermented feed last noticeably longer at hot temperatures? I have not tried this yet.

I appreciate the advice!

Just to clarify, you're wetting the feed and then feeding it immediately right now? It shouldn't spoil in the period that it sits out, even if it's all day. It is fermenting while it sits there though, due to temperatures.

If you serve FF instead it shouldn't be that different than what you see in her food bowl at the end of the day. High temps cause feed to ferment faster, so no it doesn't last longer technically speaking. For that reason, if you do decide to try fermenting, I would start serving it at the 24 hr mark and only make enough for maybe 2 days at a time, as there's a higher chance of spoilage when it's hot.

That's correct. At the moment it spoils within a few hours unfortunately--it has a rancid smell, and the chickens won't touch it. From what I have read, it's too hot to ferment properly. Maybe the high humidity here makes it worse. It is pretty warm--even lows are in the 80s.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight about fermentation temperatures. I was hoping that after it had fermented inside at lower temps, maybe the good microbes would keep the bad ones at bay a bit longer even at higher temperatures outside...it may be that that just won't work out. Thanks for the recommendation--I will try a small/short-timed batch to start out and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom