Diatom

PhilBen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Cornwall,UK
Hi all, in the UK with have a product called Diatom. It is used to prevent red mite and can also be used as a wormer. The instructions are very poor on how to use. It states 5% in food and from what most people say you do this 3-4 days a month. Has anyone in the US got any better instructions on the correct dosage. It can also be used for dogs,cats etc for worms and flees

I am guessing this is diatomaceous earth. There are numerous threads on here about it, including some threads linked in the FAQ forum. It is used in feed to absorb moisture and prevent insects in the feed. It does kill soft bodied insects such as garden worms; I have read it works by scratching their outer shell or skin, but not sure this is accurate. It is, to put it mildly, a controversial product. It MAY help prevent a mite infestation, but people have found it useless to treat an infestation. I suspect it harms the eggs of the mites more than the mites themselves. I have heard it recommended for intestinal worms but have never seen any documentation that it works as a wormer.

Hi,
I'm in the UK too. I've been using diatomacious earth for a good while now. I use it to eradicate red mite and keep them out! Sprinkle it freely around the coop, especially on the perches and in the nesting boxes. The way it works is, the mites have to crawl over it, to get to your chickens, the powder sticks to them and dehydrates them and they die. Replenish the DE on the perches until you are sure the red mite are gone. I leave it around the edges of the coop all the time.
I don't use it as a wormer but I have sprinkled it on the chickens to get rid of pests on the outside.

We give our animals diatomaceous earth (DE for short). The cow gets 1/4 cup, maybe like once or twice a week. The dog gets 1 TB, and the cats get 1 tsp. I haven't given it to my chickens though -- just never took the time to mix it in their feed. We humans of the house will also take it -- 1 TB in some orange juice, mixed up and it tastes like a fruit smoothie. It's a good "energizer," 100% better than the energy drinks like Monster and Red Bull.

We also dust the dogs and cats to help get rid of fleas. I think it works pretty well. I haven't yet (again... :hids) dusted my birds. But I haven't seen any creepy crawlies on them yet either.

Anyway, HTH!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom