Did anyone set chicken eggs on April 11th?

Out of 45 I set (10 Silkies 35 mixed) I am down to 23. I know 22 are still good one is too dark to see. Out of the other eggs 1 I dropped
1f61e.png
the others were infertile well 8 were 13days when I put them in so it was a bit over the 10day mark I like to use. So 22 little ones dancing away. (9 silkies the rest mixed )I can't wait!!!! Good luck to the rest of you.

I'm on day 17.
Started with 48
Tossed 20 between days 10-15. Clears & quitters.
Left with 28 going into lock down tomorrow.
Candled this am and all looked good. Didn't have much change in the air cells from day 14 but they were on the + so I ran the humidity at 50% today.

Tomorrow I'll recandle and bump the humidity up to 70%.

Can't wait for some hatches.
I got my day old chicks from mcmurray this am.
So tiny and cute

I set 42, but between low fertility and a few quitters, I'm down to 24 eggs on day 16. It's reassuring to know that there are others who are going into lockdown with far less than they started with.

Last edited:
I set 5 barnyard mix eggs on April 10 at 11:00 pm. As of today (Day 17), it appears that all 5 are alive. 2 of the eggs are dark enough (olive, blue/green) that it was REALLY difficult to candle them, but I was able to see veins near the air cell on days 7 and 14, as well as some shadowy movement within the eggs on days 14 and 17. All 3 of the light brown eggs have movement in them at Day 17.

I'll weigh and candle tomorrow before lock down. The air cells didn't seem large enough on Days 7 and 14, but weight loss has actually been greater than it should be, so I'm not sure what to do.

I had terrible luck with setting shipped eggs earlier in April (0 of 9 hatched), so I'm hoping a couple of these barnyard mix eggs hatch.

Last edited:
Are you not supposed to turn your eggs between days 11-14 or something like that? I heard you shouldnt candle them... why?

Very good questions! Eggs should not be turned after day 18, as it can interfere with the chicks getting into position to hatch. From days 1-17 eggs should be turned, as it increases hatch rate by improving embryo and blood vessel support network vigor.

Candling doesn't hurt the eggs, as they're usually only out of the incubator for a couple of minutes. Many people candle on days 7, 14 and 18 to check for viable vs. non-viable eggs.

I started mine on April 11th at 10:30 AM!! Some copper marans, buff orpingtons, and a couple of Reds. Unfortunately, only 4 out of 18 are still alive...
hit.gif
I will update my progress as well

Just wanted to give an update on my hatch. I added 5 more eggs to my incubator on 4-20. All of those are alive as of today. Today is day 18 for my original set so now they are on lockdown and I'm actually hearing peeps from some of them!!!! The look on my kids face was priceless when we heard the peeps!! I went into this blind and learned very quickly that I knew absolutely nothing lol but thanks to the good folks on BYC I've at least managed to save some of them.... Thank you BYC!!!

Down to 26 eggs. One of the two we cracked last night was basically yolk and bacterial? snot and the other had grown some but died in shell a couple of days ago. Put the survivors all in lockdown this morning, but I had quite a bit of trouble getting the humidity up during the day. I filled all four troughs and stuck in two sponges and finally am at 67%. Stupid Maine dry weather. I'll probably overshoot the 75% when it finally rests, but I have yet to pull out the red button thingies.

No noise yet, but I'm not sure I'd be able to with the Styrofoam incubator. I keep going into my incubator room and watching the eggs hoping for movement or pipping or cheeping.

Down to 26 eggs. One of the two we cracked last night was basically yolk and bacterial? snot and the other had grown some but died in shell a couple of days ago. Put the survivors all in lockdown this morning, but I had quite a bit of trouble getting the humidity up during the day. I filled all four troughs and stuck in two sponges and finally am at 67%. Stupid Maine dry weather. I'll probably overshoot the 75% when it finally rests, but I have yet to pull out the red button thingies.

No noise yet, but I'm not sure I'd be able to with the Styrofoam incubator. I keep going into my incubator room and watching the eggs hoping for movement or pipping or cheeping.
I'm pretty sure I read some where you should take out the red plugs during hatch time so they don't suffocate. Maybe some one else with more experience will know better?

We got our first chick this morning!! At 6:30, I noticed a small hole in one of the eggs and within 30 minutes he/she was out and about!!! I let her hang around in there for a few hours to dry off then moved her to the brooder. This is day 19 so definitely an early bird LOL. Here'a a pic- its a black copper maran/ RIR

mix.

Back
Top Bottom