Did anyone set chicken eggs on April 11th?

Awww. So cute and super jealous. I'm coming up on day 21 (Friday at 6am) and not one single peep or pip from any of my 28 eggs.

How many more do you have left?

I have a total of 10 out 24 left including the one that hatched this morning. So 9 still in the little giant. I'm hearing more peeps so I'm sure they are getting close. Good luck with your hatch!! I can't believe you haven't heard anything!? This is my first try btw

You are supposed to. They haven't started hatching yet and I'm having trouble getting the humidity up to 70-75%, so I left the red buttons in until it settled. I have all of the troughs full, two sponges, and one washcloth in there and the humidity hasn't gotten higher than 68%. I'll take one out before I go to sleep tonight in case of any early birds.

I'm a little concerned about them getting shrink-wrapped if the humidity isn't high enough. This is my first hatch and probably my last hatch with the Styrofoam incubator. There's just too much to worry about.

I'm up late again looking at hatching threads came across yours . incubators need to be in a room that stays between 65 to 72 degrees .you should be able to get the humidity up with all you have done. this is my second year hatching .my first hatch last year was really bad out of 24 shipped eggs I got 1 .and it only got better when I went on line and read some reviews on my incubator . which I should have done before I brought it at TSC . It's a Farm innovators 4200 .what I found out amazed me . the analog hygrometer and thermometer are junk .I took mine out & opened the little case its in and replaced it with a HygoSet II .I used double sided tape to stick in the center of the little case. the hygrometer is very accurate. the thermometer not so much. I went to WAL MART and got a meat thermometer cost $9 pushed it in beside hygrometer until it just reached the top of the eggs. both of these can be calibrated. this year I'm doing much better with my hatch rate .it's a .little over 60 % . Now the red plugs can stay in until your eggs hatch there are vents in your incubator so you don't have to worry about that. The biggest killer of embryos is getting to hot . the temp. needs to stay as close to 99.5 as you can keep it. I hope the morning brings you happy peeps. if you don't do well this hatch keep trying
thumbsup.gif

Day 21 update. Of the 5 eggs that went into lockdown, 4 have pipped in the last 12 hours. I'm not sure if you call the small bump or crack in the shell an actual "pip", as there's no visible hole. It's just a raised section of shell with a crack. There's no further activity, so I'm waiting impatiently and starting to worry that none of the chicks will actually zip or hatch.

Day 20 update.. Two pips when I came home from work today at 300, one has hatched! But..he's still attached to shell & there's a fingernail sized yellowish gray thing at the end of it. I didn't see my last (3) hatch...is this ok? He seems pretty vigorous.

UPDATE - He's free!

Last edited:
Down to 26 eggs. One of the two we cracked last night was basically yolk and bacterial? snot and the other had grown some but died in shell a couple of days ago. Put the survivors all in lockdown this morning, but I had quite a bit of trouble getting the humidity up during the day. I filled all four troughs and stuck in two sponges and finally am at 67%. Stupid Maine dry weather. I'll probably overshoot the 75% when it finally rests, but I have yet to pull out the red button thingies.

No noise yet, but I'm not sure I'd be able to with the Styrofoam incubator. I keep going into my incubator room and watching the eggs hoping for movement or pipping or cheeping.
Welcome to BYC. Have you read the Maine thread yet? I'm in the Bangor area, and have been having a hard time keeping my humidity stable with this hatch. I normally burn wood, but not so much with this hatch, and we've had so much rainy weather, I don't know how to react, and often over-react. My air cells are too small, with hatch due next Wednesday. So, I'm running dry, most likely until lock down.

Day 20 update.. Two pips when I came home from work today at 300, one has hatched! But..he's still attached to shell & there's a fingernail sized yellowish gray thing at the end of it. I didn't see my last (3) hatch...is this ok? He seems pretty vigorous.

UPDATE - He's free!
Congrats to you!!!

Welcome to BYC. Have you read the Maine thread yet? I'm in the Bangor area, and have been having a hard time keeping my humidity stable with this hatch. I normally burn wood, but not so much with this hatch, and we've had so much rainy weather, I don't know how to react, and often over-react. My air cells are too small, with hatch due next Wednesday. So, I'm running dry, most likely until lock down.

Congrats to you!!!
Thank you very much! It's only my second hatch, it's very exciting.

I just used a spotlight to try candling. Some of the eggs are solid dark except air sac, a couple are mostly dark masses except we saw the embryo moving around, and one that might be an early quitter but I don't know, it only has a half size dark mass.

Back
Top Bottom