Did Anyone Watch "The Big Waste" On The Food Network Channel?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
I am disgusted at the waste... So many hungry families in this country...
hit.gif
somad.gif

No, didn't see it, but I can only imagine. I go to the store and see stacks of items ready to expire. I know they're going to throw them in the trash.

I have desert tortoises and asked the produce manager if I could buy the bruised, unsaleable produce at a reduced price to feed them. Nope. It goes
in the trash. When I was a kid the produce manager of a store set boxes of useable but not saleable produce on the back loading dock for my mom to feed the animals.
Different times for sure.

I mean.. tons and tons of food..
he.gif

Its on the Food Network Channel... 231 on Direct t.v. , not sure about other cable companies..

OMG! They just showed where they process chickens and if one gets a bruise or a broken wing in the de-feathering... (after death),..That they cant sell it... so they had 40 something chickens going to waste... (because noone will buy bruised chicken meat..etc..)
It just said that the estimated amout of chicken eggs thrown out a year(in these farms in America) is about 5 BILLION...
ep.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif

Just because of them being too small or even too BIG!
I am so sick..

Last edited:
I saw a preview for this and wanted to DVR it...dang, I missed it? I told my hubby when we saw the promo that I'm gonna start hitting the local grocery stores for their left over produce, etc...

Was that the one with the dumpster diving for food? It was about people that understand the needless waste, and it talked about just how much waste is going on... to the tune of if you loaded all the yearly wasted food in the US onto a train, and if you packed each train car to capacity, that the train would reach from NY to Cali... TWICE.

On the one we watched (on netflix) these "freegans" I think is the term, were able to fill a freezer full of meat for a whole year in only one evening. They were getting upset that stores were locking up the dumpsters behind security fence to prevent theft of the "garbage". I guess it would be for liability reasons... preventing some lawsuit from a person that took food from a dumpster and got sick, or injured while taking it.

There is a pig farmer in Las Vegas that does really well by feeding his pigs slop from all the restaurants. Imagine the reduced waste if all pig farms fed slop from grocery stores and restaurants. Just the strain on feed production alone would make a dent in cost and carbon output.

The level of consumption and waste is disgusting. No one thinks of it really. When I worked in a warehouse... if the fork of a fork lift went into one, one pound bag of flour, the entire case was thrown away. So for every 1 damaged bag of flour, or one jar of peanut butter, or one jar of syrup... 3-5 perfectly good ones were thrown away because the packaging was ruined. The warehouse didn't have the means to repackage it into a new case.

Now think of all the packaging being thrown away with it. Think of your trash... all the packaging in it. Now apply that to the waste food, and all the packaging it was in. Garbage, forever. Perfectly good food, thrown away in the package. NONE of it recycled. Left to rot.

Now with eggs... usually the discarded ones are sold into food production. But only the largest egg producers can have the volume of imperfect eggs to supply another company that will use them.

We have a local produce store that keeps a discount rack going. If a crate of celery gets squished and half the stalks are broken, they sell it for $.49 instead of regular price. I buy all I can off the markdown rack for juicing, the birds, or baking. Old bananas? Bread! Bruised melon? $.39 chicken treat! Soft tomatoes? Italian Sauce!

I had a major score with Asparagus recently. Usually it's $3.99 a bundle. They had some damaged... one or three broken stalks in a bundle, a whole pile of bundles. I bought every bundle they had for $.39 EACH. Took all the broken ones, cut them up, made an Alfredo dish. The rest, you place them on a cookie sheet, and freeze. Once they're frozen... bag it and date it.

Soon I'll learn to can, so that I can wipe them out on whatever they have and put it up. I have limited freezer space... but a whole empty basement to store cans!

Waste not, want not.

All stores around here have locked dumpsters to prevent dumpster diving.
I get trimmings of greens and cabbage at a local large chain store here in winter for chickens. If I don't pick them up they go in the dumpster.
Other things (like dairy near expiration) goes to the local food search.
Meat on the other hand has to be disposed of. I was told that, at one time, meat at expiration would be sold to employees at a huge discount. Now it's not allowed by FDA or USDA - it must be destroyed. I believe that contributes to high prices.

I think it's kind of set up. They said they used up to 60 chickens a day in their restaurant but threw away over 40 because of things like broken wings or small imperfections. I just kind of doubt that the food was *really* going to be thrown away.

Did not watch it but my brother told me to hit the aldi's dumpsters,because if there is a bad fruit in the bag the whole thing gets tossed. I have returned food items(nothing wrong) and I offered to return to the shelf,but was told it goes into the garbage.It was good stuff,but I suppose crazy people could do stuff to food.

Back
Top Bottom