Did I do the right thing?

terrilhb

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Georgia
Ok so I have a friend who has been on something for quite awhile. Always acting really strange and out of it. Everytime I asked her what she was taking she said nothing except some cold medicine. Really bizzarre behavior. I was out today watering my chickens and goats. And my DH says my friend is here. I said she can come sit while I finish. Did not finish. She looked high as a kite. She asked me to take her to the fire station that she had taken to many pain pills. I did. They misunderstood what she said. And told me to bring her home and give her lot's of water. I was in the process of giving her water when the ambulance pulled up in my yard. The man said he had misunderstood and that she needed to go to the hospital. I called her SIL like she asked. Took care of her kids. Her DH just called me and asked me what had happened. I explained and than told him all that I had seen. I had not had a chance before because of the crazy hours he works and when I did see him his young kids or she was with him. He said they have been arguing over this for quite awhile and has been going on for a long time. I know she is going to be so angry with me. But she is my friend and I just want her to get better. Was I wrong to tell him about what myself, my DH and others have seen. Her kids are 13, 12 and 10. I feel in my heart I did but I am just worried maybe I butted in where I should not have.

I would consider you the best type of friend. She needed help and, with you being honest about the past, she can get the proper help. She may be upset for a while, but if she is as good of a friend as you say, she will realize that you did her a favor and eventually thank you. If not, you will be better for knowing that now.

I don't think you should feel badly at all -- except on the kids' behalf.

I would immediately become suspicious of meth.

I would also call CPS, though the hospital might. Regardless of meth, or pain pill overdose, the kids are at risk -- a real risk.

Good luck.
hugs.gif

Yes!!! You did the right thing. Imagine how you would feel if you hadn't told someone and she hadn't gotten help and died!! Much worse than what you are experiencing now. It sounds like her DH already knows that something is up so I think you were just reaffirming it him!! She evidently knew she needed help if she came asking you to take her to the fire station so I don't see how she could be mad. How were you supposed to not say anything to her husband??? Good luck and I hope she gets better!!

I agree also with the other posters. When there is something going on like that and kids are involved, you have to do the right thing. She was/is not only a danger to herself and others when she is like that, but her kids are put in danger also. She maybe mad, but you probably saved her life, others lives, and her kids. Dont beat yourself up.

Rammy

I agree with the others. When someone asks for help, they often want it to be simple, and it usually opens a can of worms, but that's a necessary part of getting help. I recently had a friend call me from a bar, falling down drunk. Literally. He dropped the pay phone and I heard strangers help him up and one guy came on the phone and said "I hope you're picking this guy up, he's hammered". Well, my friend said he was planning to drive and he was slurring like crazy and obviously VERY DRUNK. I was 50 miles away from him and knew he would drive before I could get there, so I called his father, where he was staying, and who was just down the road from the bar. Later my friend called me up screaming "I'm 40 years old, how dare you call my bleepity bleep father!" I said, "Oh well. I'd rather you be mad then dead". I ended up hanging up on him because he was belligerent and he called the next day and apologized. Even if he was mad at me forever, I would have still made that phone call. And your friend actually ASKED for the help, unlike mine. So you did what you could do get the help and if that makes her or others mad, OH WELL. You did the right thing, you can always sleep with that. What you wouldn't be able to sleep with is the consequences had you NOT helped.
hugs.gif

I am the product of a drug addicted Mother, she may have got her drugs from a dr but she was not a lot different than a junkie on the street, nor were the lives of her 7 children. You may very well have saved her children from a life on a horrible roller coaster never knowing what the next turn will be like. prescribed medication, or drugs from a street vendor have the same effect on the people forced to live with the person doing drugs. Lets pray your friend will get help so her children will not suffer. You DID the RIGHT thing sweetie!!

Donna in Branson

Back
Top Bottom