Did I do the right thing?

Sandra,
If he was a roo you were keeping, there are some tricks. One thing I've done with the roo who lives w/ my other irds s carry him around against his will. It didn't take long to drill it into his head - two separate days. I'm only up there 1-3 times a week, but he doesn't mess with me.

Since you're not keeping him, just keep yourself safe, and if the meat ends up bruised - we'll lie. I'm sure Chip doesn't care;)

The general rule when trying to get something across to an animal is you have 3-5 seconds to make your point after their behavior before it becomes pointless and excessive. Now if they continue the behavior that 3 seconds doesn't start until their behavior ends. Anything you do in that time is valid. After that most trainers consider it revenge on your part because the animal is unlikely to comprehend the reason for your actions. Normally we apply this rule to reprimanding an animal we are teaching to work with us though so there are more restrictions than beating a nasty roo off yourself and protecting your child. If you kick him and he walks off and then you take the time to turn on the hose, aim, and spray he's not going to put hose spray with having attacked. It may help him decide you shouldn't be messed with but it will not punish him any longer for attacking because it's too far from the action for him to understand cause and effect.

clap.gif
Great advice, I think that advice pertains to all animals, everything from roosters to horses, dogs and cats....maybe even kids? I agree with you, I've seen so many people disciplining an animal so long after the point, that it turns into venting of anger or frustration. Thanks for making such a great point.
clap.gif

Fantastic helpful info, thanks! That actually answered my question perfectly. Kicking him away from me was within that time, hosing him was not.

Quote:

Quote:
Oh, my gosh, you had an infant in your arms, anything you had to do to stop that roo was appropriate! Kick 'im to the moon, if you need to, to defend yourself and your baby!

Back
Top Bottom