Did I get it all? or do chickens scab?

Heidi65

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2015
Prescott Valley, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
On Aug. 28. I removed a pretty large bumble from Forest's foot.
Part of which was sticking up between her toes. I thought I got it all out. Here is what I got and there was no longer a protrusion on top of her toes
Tonight we did a check on her and she has been acting just fine but I looked and The very top picture is what we saw. My hubby says it is a scab it I don't think so after everything I've read and I'm thinking I missed some of the infection. Am I right? She is a really good girl but I hate to cut into her again when I thought I had it all.

I had some liquid (meloxicam) 1.5mg and she weighs about 6#. How many ml would I give her, (that is all I have syringe wise. Please help Heidi Sorry for the goofy post, I had to post from my IPod and it had a mind of it's own most of the time and I can't get pictures from my phone to here.

Last edited:
@redsoxs, I had to edit my post because things were out of order due to posting on my Ipad.

The picture of the bottom of Forest's foot is AFTER I removed the bumble so that is why I'm wondering if I didn't get it all. Do you think there is still something left? I've seen pictures of people after they have removed them and after 5 days their is nice pink skin and this is about 2+ weeks and it looks like another case.

Please advise???

Just trying to clarify. The photo of the "plug" is what you got from the top of the foot?

The second photo of the bottom of the foot is what it looks like right now?

If the second photo is what it looks like right now, then she has bumblefoot on the bottom as well.

@Wyrop Rock, Yes, I got the plug (top photo ) out of her foot on Aug. 28. The bottom photo is tonight, Sept. 16.

So yes, that is what I was afraid of
he.gif

Can you tell me how much of the pain medication to give her before I have to cut into her foot again. She is SUCH a good girl about it but I hate to do it again without pain medication.

Again, I have Metacam / Meloxicam 1.5mg Oral Suspension, it was for our dog. The only syringe I have is a 3ml. I do have 15mg tablets that are prescribed to me if someone could tell me how to figure out how to do that if it would be easier. I just don't want to do surgery again on her without something for pain.

Please advise and thank you so much!!

@Wyrop Rock, Yes, I got the plug (top photo ) out of her foot on Aug. 28. The bottom photo is tonight, Sept. 16.

So yes, that is what I was afraid of :he

Can you tell me how much of the pain medication to give her before I have to cut into her foot again.  She is SUCH a good girl about it but I hate to do it again without pain medication.

Again, I have Metacam / Meloxicam 1.5mg Oral Suspension, it was for our dog.  The only syringe I have is a 3ml.  I do have 15mg tablets that are prescribed to me if someone could tell me how to figure out how to do that if it would be easier.  I just don't want to do surgery again on her without something for pain.

Please advise and thank you so much!!

Our vet prescribed meloxicam 1.5 mg/mL for girls when they had bumblefoot. The dosage given was 0.7 mL every 12 hrs for 5 days with egg withdrawal 17 days. That dosage was for our largest chicken, about 6 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom