Did I make it worse?

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
For the past month my duck pearl has had a lump on each foot (one foot being worse) i figured its bumblefoot and the few times ive soaked her and just done vetericyn spray its done nothing, both have gotten bigger so I decided to cut around what im sure was a scab (it was clear red) on the worst lump and try to get stuff out, all that came out was mostly blood and a bit of clear pus I put vetericyn and wrapped her foot. Since there was no hard kernel from what I've read I'm scared to death I made the wrong decision that's possibly done more harm then good. She has also not been laying much at all for the past week (only laying every 2-3 days) which is not like her at all, she would usually lay every day or skip a day here and there, which stressed me out thinking it was her foot effecting her and I've let it get bad. She's my baby and I was only trying to make the right decision.

Here's a picture of each foot from a month ago, it's just gotten bigger since then and the what I think were scabs got a little bigger too. The worst foot had a much bigger scab
Screenshot_20170528-174443.png

Screenshot_20170528-174525.png

Is changing the vet wrap, gauze and applying vetericyn once a day enough? Or should I do it twice a day? Is there anything else I can apply?

Last edited:
Can you post a few pictures of her feet please.

I was crazy busy yesterday and completely forgot about taking the pictures, I took a picture of each foot this morning though. It's got a scab over it again so I let her be with the rest of the ducks today, I kept her foot wrapped though. I kept her in a separate pen without any water to swim in all day yesterday and half of the the day before so her foot would stay dry and it could scab. I'm just upset I got nothing out and I feel like I cut her for no reason, though I barely even cut into her (I lightly cut around the "scab" and removed it, then tried to squeeze stuff out, all I pretty much got was blood)

@Miss Lydia @KikisGirls

20170530_113235.jpg

20170530_113257.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend this article on Tilly's nest for a non-surgical approach that seems to work well.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/

Also, my vet gave me a great suggestion about how to soak my chicken's feet in an Epsom salt solution. She suggested that I fold a towel in the bottom of a cat or small dog carrier and pour in warm Epsom salt solution. Then place the chicken in the carrier.

Back
Top Bottom