Did the dog kill my chicken???

okjenyp

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Kansas
I have been letting the chickens run around I. Our yard during the day. For the first few weeks, I would lock the doggie door and only let them out for a couple hours. And during this time I would take the dogs out on a leash to get them used to the chickens. They were behaving so well. So a week ago I decided to see how they were off leash. They did awesome! Didn't chase the chickens or anything. So the past couple days I have let the chickens have free range of the yard and the dog door unlocked. And no problems. Well today, at 6pm. I went out to check on everybody and my dog was chewing on a carcas of one of the smaller chickens. No head. No blood anywhere. And I don't see a bunch of feathers anywhere. Could it have been my dog who killed it? I'd hate to have to lock them up when the chickens are out. They've done so well the past few weeks! Btw my dogs are Pomeranian chihuahua and Pomeranian dachshund ( the one chewing on the dead chicken )

sry but it prob was your dog. I have a housecat maybe 5 lbs. my 2 dogs are close to 60 lbs. when they come inside they won't pay her any attention but if they are outside different story, they've almost killed 2 of the neighbors cats who jumped the fence into my yard. something else may have killed it and they got to eat on it who knows. but for the most part dogs are only well behaved when they think they are being watched, unless they are bred for livestock protection and even then it can be iffy.

Dachshund are hunt, shake, kill dogs - that is what they are bred to do. They are used to hunt rodents, but a small chicken is equally fair game to them. You really need to provide direct supervision at any time you have the dogs and chickens out at the same time.

Afteri locked the chickens up for the night, I did a thorough grounds search for the kill site and head. I found some clumps of blood and a few bloody feathers in the corner of the yard. And what looks to be the neck. Still no head. I would think if my dog bit the head off she would be chewing on that or burying it somewhere. But I don't see anything

Back
Top Bottom