Did your hens start laying later than 24 weeks? Help frustrated!

26 and 27 weeks for majority of my flock. I still have a polish who has only laid once at 30 some weeks and nothing since that first egg. But than she is my wild chicken who will roost in trees and not want to be locked up with the flock at night. So she may have eggs in the woods somewhere.

I have two Dominique pullets and three Speckled Sussex pullets that hatched together. The Doms started laying at 20 weeks and the Sussex are still holding out at 27 weeks.

I have a purebred that is around 36 weeks and still not laying. Most of my hatchery orpingtons started around 28 weeks. Breed does matter as some will lay sooner than others. Just hang in, they'll start when their bodies are ready for it. The bigger the breed, the later in general but it's not unheard of for an EE to lay later than you expect.

Last edited:
Well - because I actually keep a spreadsheet of this information (yes, I'm totally detail-oriented) - here are the laying ages of my 7 pullets:

26wks 4 days
25 wks 2 days
24 wks
24 wks 3 days
25 wks 6 days
22 wks 6 days
26 wks

Quote:
I shouldn't laugh but the emoticon is too funny! Thanks for sharing your situation.

Thank you everyone for sharing I will keep the faith and practice patience.
thumbsup.gif

I just got my first egg 2 days ago and my ameracanas are almost 8 months old.... got my second egg today.
I live in Texas and it was the hottest summer every so I figured that had something to do with it. But after reading here now I'm not so sure.... lol.

I have two Black Marans that were born the middle of March and started laying on Oct 21, and have given me a total of 20 eggs. My Isa Brown was born sometime in April and has not started to lay yet.

Quote:
Did your marans squat before they started laying? My maran comb is pretty red but no other sign of laying.

Back
Top Bottom