Didn't know something so small could make a grown woman so sad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Must Be Losing It, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Just a vent session for me.

My crazy legged chick w/ splayed legs is a mess. After a week plus of banding his legs he never gained any strength, he's not growing and in fact one of his legs is just completely bent wrong and now his wing on the same side is hanging over his leg - I'm told its most likely neurological problems and its time to go.

So my husband is about 3000 miles away all week and I'm feeling like a big baby having to take care of this because at this rate I'm just caring for this chick for myself and that's quite selfish given his condition.

Anyway, its my first chick I have to cull and I'm devastated.

Wish me luck. Sorry I'm such a big baby.

[​IMG]

2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Bless your heart. [​IMG]
    I don't think I could do it myself. Do you have a friend or neighbor who isn't attached to the little chick who might take care of it for you?

3. mamaspider

mamaspider Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    (((must be losing it)))

sending thoughts of courage and strength to you whom i do not envy...

jean

4. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I am so sorry you are going through this all by yourself. Wish I was closer to help, I have never had to do it myself, but it would be hard. sending you hugs [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Had to do something for a birth defect baby myself. It isn't easy but there's a certain peace later knowing you did the right thing so no needless suffering was endured by something so small and helpless.
    Sending peaceful vibes your way... :aww

6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry that you need to do this. Your are right - you need to do it for the chick's sake. [​IMG] I'm thinking of you. All the best.

I'm in a similar situation considering put my dog down. It's just not easy.

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Thank you everyone. It was a tough night last night but you're right, I know I dd the right thing and Crazy Legs is resting peacefully instead of fighting his own decline.

McGoo, sorry about your dog. Its a tough, tough thing you're going through and I wish you the best of strength.

Thanks again for everyone's well wishes.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You did the right thing. [​IMG]

9. muffi

muffi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Ayer, Massachusetts
    I'm so sorry, especially that you had to go through it without DH around for support. You did all that you could.

*hugs*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by