Difference between Muscovy and Domestic ducklings

Huh. I have one like that, I wonder if they might have barring. It's pretty noticeable in juvenile plumage, right?
Yup, when their feathers start coming in, instead of the white you'd expect from a yellow duckling, they come in a different colour. So far, I've only had visual black barred scovies, and their bills as babies were also darker (another usual trait).

Yup, when their feathers start coming in, instead of the white you'd expect from a yellow duckling, they come in a different colour. So far, I've only had visual black barred scovies, and their bills as babies were also darker (another usual trait).
I'll have to double check, one of the 3 yellows has a darker bill, not sure if it's that one or my little cigarette head one

It's yellow and has a grey circle right in the middle of its head, so it looks like it was mistaken for an ash tray
20230601_090005.jpg

The one on the left.

Oh neato. I'm getting way more than just was told I would with these then. I was just told they would be white with varying amounts of black
So, parents were probably black pied. Barred is a recessive gene, so could be hidden. Pied is a co-dominant, and if a duckling gets two copies they will be white, or like your butt-head, white with a black smudge on the head which will probably disappear.

So, parents were probably black pied. Barred is a recessive gene, so could be hidden. Pied is a co-dominant, and if a duckling gets two copies they will be white, or like your butt-head, white with a black smudge on the head which will probably disappear.
What about the chocolate. Is that recessive too? My three little chocolate ones came from the same batch

What about the chocolate. Is that recessive too? My three little chocolate ones came from the same batch
Chocolate is a recessive sex-link in that males can carry it but not show it and give off chocolate females. To get chocolate males, both parents need to give the gene. Females only carry one copy of the gene so can only give the one. Any of their male offspring, no matter the colour, will carry chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom